Jerry's 62 Impala build

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I needed something small for my father-in-law. He is a big guy and couldn't get under the factory steering wheel comfortably. So I added tilt and the smaller wheel.

The picture does throw it off and look's much better in person.

ls1wagon

I needed something small for my father-in-law. He is a big guy and couldn't get under the factory steering wheel comfortably. So I added tilt and the smaller wheel.

The picture does throw it off and look's much better in person.

Jesus u just hit a sore spot with me I better go get on a diet LOL. Let just say I have got larger this year.

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
Brian
car is looking great
whats the deal with the ash trey removed and the air bag system control installed

I KNOW YOU CAN DO BETTER THEN THAT

come on now, make a plate and cover the opening and then cut the new plate and re install the system

now I have that off my chest,
do you have any items left from the sbc ( chrome or billet )
needing some items for the coupe

(since I voiced my opinion, I bet the items I need are 200% higher in cost)

all kidding aside, the car is really looking good just need to follow through with some of the added details

let me know

thanks
roger

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jesus u just hit a sore spot with me I better go get on a diet LOL. Let just say I have got larger this year.

I hear ya...I am up 20lbs in the past year!

Brian
car is looking great
whats the deal with the ash trey removed and the air bag system control installed

I KNOW YOU CAN DO BETTER THEN THAT

come on now, make a plate and cover the opening and then cut the new plate and re install the system

now I have that off my chest,
do you have any items left from the sbc ( chrome or billet )
needing some items for the coupe

(since I voiced my opinion, I bet the items I need are 200% higher in cost)

all kidding aside, the car is really looking good just need to follow through with some of the added details

let me know

thanks
roger

Roger-

I sold the entire drivetrain already. It went into a 64 Impala vert.

I want to leave the dash stock without any cutting. I did try to take an ashtray and cut the aluminum trim off to fit on each side but it is not tall enough. If I put anything else in there it will look just as bad as it does without anyhting there. I am still thinking about this one and am open to any ideas. I just want it to look great or leave it alone....

Ok, I thought about it some more while reading my reply. I am going to take another dash panel and cut it down to fit on each side. Hopefully I can get it to look fluent enough without a major re-work to the dash.

:eek:WOW, if you guys are gonna pick Brian's work apart I better not post any of mine.

:crazy

:evil:evil:evil

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Can you move the controls elsewhere? How often are they used- can you mount on a hinge on the bottom of the dash, by the gauges? So they flip up out of sight? Not familiar with those controls, so don't know the logistics involved.
Nice work otherwise, but the clutch pedal is missing.
Don

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Originally posted by Brian Thompson

In that case: c'mon Dude, what's with the wires in front of the radiator and on the passenger fender well not wrapped in a harness. Tighten it up.:evil

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Brian,

My thoughts on the steering wheel... While the rest of the build appears stock, restro, the wheel looks like it should be tied to valleur purple seats and dice hanking from the mirror. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but the wheel and your build don't seems to go together, IMO !!! I do however understand the can't get out from under the large steering wheel thing !!!! I am also "spacefully challenged" in the same way.

I have however been wrong in the past, just ask Linda ! :roll:roll

Bill

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Whats wrong with the stering wheel?:dunno

That steering wheel badazz! I like it Brian.:cheers

I know you've busted your butt getting this car together, lots of hours involved and I'm certain Jerry will be estatic once he gets in her and drives. job well done.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
remember
the car belongs to you. add or delete things you want and what makes you happy.
had this over at the corvetteforum. i add and delete to my taste. i keep the orig parts
in case the next owner wants to go back. everyone is different. best of luck to all jim

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Originally posted by Brian Thompson

In that case: c'mon Dude, what's with the wires in front of the radiator and on the passenger fender well not wrapped in a harness. Tighten it up.:evil

That is one of the minor detail things I need to do under the hood.

Brian,

My thoughts on the steering wheel... While the rest of the build appears stock, restro, the wheel looks like it should be tied to valleur purple seats and dice hanking from the mirror. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but the wheel and your build don't seems to go together, IMO !!! I do however understand the can't get out from under the large steering wheel thing !!!! I am also "spacefully challenged" in the same way.

I have however been wrong in the past, just ask Linda ! :roll:roll

Bill

I know what you are saying Bill. It does look out of place in an otherwise stock interior. It is the only look I have to work with. Because of the ididit tilt column, anything else would be about 2" closer to him and a much bigger wheel. In previous pictures, I still had the stock wheel on it and was forced to change it when I couldn't get behind the wheel with it on. My father-in-law is a much bigger guy than I am. I am going to look into dying the leather cover to match the darker red of the dash to hopefully make it blend in more.

That steering wheel badazz! I like it Brian.:cheers

I know you've busted your butt getting this car together, lots of hours involved and I'm certain Jerry will be estatic once he gets in her and drives. job well done.

Thanks Seth! :cheers

remember
the car belongs to you. add or delete things you want and what makes you happy.
had this over at the corvetteforum. i add and delete to my taste. i keep the orig parts
in case the next owner wants to go back. everyone is different. best of luck to all jim

The guys here know what I usually turn out and are "nit-picking" this build because it is for my father-in-law. This is exactly why I post these pics. I have met most of them and value their input, plus it helps me from straying down a different road than I need to be on.

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Come out to Florida and let's get Old Gold finished. Floors, headliner, interior paint, upholstery, last but not least air conditioning. :crazy

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
This is the Billet Specialties wheel that looks a little more stock. It doesn't have the leather 1/2 wrap on it yet though.

Reassy11-10007-1.jpg

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Brian,
What is the make of the booster setup?:dunno
Seems to give lots of clearance to rocker covers:clap
Steve