Jerry's 62 Impala build

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Time to bring this post up to date. Haven't worked on it for some time now, so I figured I should get it done.

I took her for the first drive today and it did great! Storm rolling in so I couldn't take it far. Brought it back into the garage and charged the A/C. It blows colder than my Yukon! :beerbang

Got a few small items to finish up and then she will be finished!

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Time to bring this post up to date. Haven't worked on it for some time now, so I figured I should get it done.

I took her for the first drive today and it did great! Storm rolling in so I couldn't take it far. Brought it back into the garage and charged the A/C. It blows colder than my Yukon! :beerbang

Got a few small items to finish up and then she will be finished!

Fly out here with my vintage air kit and let's get old gold freezer like conditions. :pray

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
offset booster

Brian,
Can you get the valve cover off with this setup? I have the same valve covers on my 62 SS but without a offset booster. I just purchased this offset booster form CCP for my car.

I note the under dash hookup arm, it looks too long to fit my brake pedal?
I had to cut off the rod coming out of my booster, it was too long to fit without hitting the firewall on my car. Any comments on fitting related to these issues.

My setup looks alot like this one. It came from Right Stuff in Ohio. I attached a picture showing my set up.

It looks like I will have to move my sun tach box. Will my washer bottle have to move ?

Paul
Iowa

Attachments

• DSCN4954.jpg
    DSCN4954.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 64

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian,
Can you get the valve cover off with this setup? I have the same valve covers on my 62 SS but without a offset booster. I just purchased this offset booster form CCP for my car.

I note the under dash hookup arm, it looks too long to fit my brake pedal?
I had to cut off the rod coming out of my booster, it was too long to fit without hitting the firewall on my car. Any comments on fitting related to these issues.

My setup looks alot like this one. It came from Right Stuff in Ohio. I attached a picture showing my set up.

It looks like I will have to move my sun tach box. Will my washer bottle have to move ?

Paul
Iowa

I couldn't even get the booster installed without the offset CPP bracket. Even the one that raises the booster would not clear.
I had to lose the washer bottle with a Dual 8" booster. I did have to shorten the booster rod as well for clearance. No problems there, plenty of travel. Make sure you use the lower hole on the brake pedal for the pedal rod.
I could not get the valve cover off with the offset bracket. But I do have a Dual 8" booster. Yours looks like it may be a dual 7"???? If so, it may give you enough clearance to get the valve cover off. No clearance issues with the tach sender.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
booster bracket

Yes I have a 7" booster. Thanks for the info, just what I need when I start installing the offset CCP bracket.

Here are some better pictures of the booster to review and the motor.

I am removing my original carbs at the end of the month to have them redone, they are running very rich. I am sending them to Ohio. My carb builder passed away so I do not know what jets, metering rods I have in them( I am no expert at rebuilding carbs).

I have a set of edelbrock 1406 carbs as back up, but prefer to stay with the originals for now.

Paul

Attachments

• DSCN5070.jpg
    DSCN5070.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCN5072.jpg
    DSCN5072.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCN5069.jpg
    DSCN5069.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 164

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pictures from the Dallas Autorama 2011 show.

DSC_1276Custom.jpg

DSC_1277Custom.jpg

DSC_1278Custom.jpg

DSC_1279Custom.jpg

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Very impressive!

Brian:

That pair of '62s look very impressive next to each other!

What heads are you running on Jerry's car?

Can you make mine shine like that under the lights?

Cheers!

TomK

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Brian, congratulations on the great show. Beautiful cars !!! Everything you touch is first class........ :bow:bow:bow

well except maybe the wine.:dunno:crazy:takethat

Dave

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Aha!

Ronnie:

I still have that pair of "trophies" on the bench, they are soooo good looking. I mimicked your efforts on another set of heads, I'm sure they're not as good as your efforts. They went into the "budget build" we talked about at Thompson two years ago. Were you able to use those BBC rods with the custom forged pistons in that build?

Sorry for stealing your thread, Brian :). Great pair of finely restored vehicles!

Cheers!
TomK

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes, Tom... The engine in Jerrys car WAS the low budget engine. Your pistons and rods. Don't know what the final cost was and Brian doesn't want to know.:roll:roll Its crazy how all those invoices add up to. I have found it better to throw invoices away as soon as the parts come in. When asked later , how much in it, say , " oh, about xxx". And never ever, ever ,ever let the wife know the true amount. :eek: