69 C30 Wrecker

bobs409

Administrator
Ok, it's home! Here are 20 pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Now be kind, this is the worst it will ever look. It can only get better from here. :D

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:cool: She's not bad at all,Bob.Some metal replacement,a few parts,and a freshen up on the interior and paint,she has great potential :deal

bobs409

Administrator
Some might think I'm crazy. :crazy Glad you don't Don.

It's freezing out so can't play much with it today. Looked it over real good and cleaned the junk out. It's still the original engine, last inspection was '97. Bottom looks decent, cab mounts are even still there.

The clutch pedal only goes half way. :dunno Feels like something is jamming up there.

I did confirm it's a one owner truck, I saw the original 1969 title today with Vic's auto body on it. :deal

Too bad some turkey got my visors, arm rests and door panels. :evil It was down in the yard only a few days before I "claimed" it but long enough for a few parts to go missing. Could have been worse. Normally I wouldn't care much but this maroon color is very hard to find. I don't think it's even repro'd. Well, I guess I have more important things to fix first. :D

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob,
Can you post or send some good pics of that scissor jack in the toolbox. I might be interested.:D

S

Swiss Impala

You are really not crazy!
What you see below is what I got as a "gift" some days ago!:crazy :crazy
Franz.

I wished I got such a truck!:clap

Attachments

• luigi1.jpg
    luigi1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 32
  • luigi2.jpg
    luigi2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 25

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Bob,
I think that tow truck is very Cool,:beerbang I did allot of towing in my younger days

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Kinda looks like ol VIC milked that one until she had nothing left to give. BTW, is VIC still in the body shop business? If he is, he coulda touched up the old girl when she got slow.:roll Leo

bobs409

Administrator
Kinda looks like ol VIC milked that one until she had nothing left to give. BTW, is VIC still in the body shop business? If he is, he coulda touched up the old girl when she got slow.:roll Leo

I checked and they are still in business. I'm going to try to find it to see what the place looks like. :D

Would you take your car to a body shop that owned/drove this truck? :roll

bobs409

Administrator
Oh yeh, I learned more on that maroon color interior. Get this; it's a 1969 ONLY color and hard to find!!! Not repro'd. Even the door panels are one year only and rare. :bang

I think I see some maroon vinyl spray in my future... :D

bobs409

Administrator
Wow! This runs great!

I ran an IV (funnel) to the fuel pump to bypass the old gas and as soon as the gas hit the carb, it fired right up and never even stalled. The choke, choke pull off and fast idle all worked like they should. No smoke and quiet too. Maybe it's only 49K instead of 149K?

Found the problem with the clutch. The push rod slipped out of the fork. So after fixing that I got to drive it around. It's WAY cool! Half the brake system is out but I had enough to stop since top speed was about 5 MPH. :D

Found one major thing. There is a big hole in the bottom of the tranny! :eek: I was wondering where the gear oil was dripping from. That's from them lifting the truck with a front end loader with forks when they put it in the yard and got it out. Driveshaft is bent too but they told me that it probably would be.

Luckily, he's supposed to watch for a driveshaft for me free of charge. He'll probably give me a tranny when he finds out about the hole too. He's a decent guy, gives me good deals all the time.

I'm still in shock that a vehicle that looks like this can run so good.

I drained the gas tank. It was ORANGE! Old stinky gas. I managed to spill some on my boot so I'll now have the pleasure of smelling it for about a week! :barf