mickey thompson crossram intake

suffolkss409

Hello to all impala lovers here,

I saw an article about a intake i never seen or heard about on a 409. It was a mickey thompson crossram manifold. Has anyone heard of this ? how rare is it and what is it worth ? i want one , it looks so trick. i would love to find one and get those aluminum heads to match it. does anyone have one for sale or know of any in existance ? Does it make good power ? I have a 64 409 340 HP that i need to rebuild soon and i was just curious if anybody here new something about it. I recently saw a Z-11 intake for sale for 4,000 but it has a aftermarket bottom part and no valley pan. i woulsd asume that you need the Z-11 heads to match. Is that a good deal for that intake ?

thanks michael

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome to the site Mike.:clap:clap We all gotta see pics of your ride/project please. Where abouts are you on Long Island? We have several members on Long Island and we might be getting together soon as the weather breaks.
:crazy:cheers

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
There are a handful of forum members that have that intake. Probably somewhere between "rare" and "really uncommon". They'll pop up on eBay every few months.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Hi Michael,
Welcome to the forum. That manifold is somewhat rare. You don't see them everyday but as Mike said they do come up on ebay from time to time. I sold one on ebay about 6 years ago. It went for a little over $1400.00 then but the economy may not support that now.

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome to the site Mike.:clap:clap We all gotta see pics of your ride/project please. Where abouts are you on Long Island? We have several members on Long Island and we might be getting together soon as the weather breaks.
:crazy:cheers

Welcome! :cool:

Yes we need to get together when the weather breaks.

Mike

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:clap Welcome to the site. You will become addicted to this group of fine gentlemen and in some cases I use the term losely.:roll That manifold you are looking for is neat to look at but I would use one. Here is a good thread to get you started. Its got the good the bad and the ugly before it to neat and wow. PlumCrazy 62 SS Stroker Build

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Michael, here's a photo of my Cross Ram. I've had the intake in my 57 for over 25 years. With 3.50 rear end gears I 13MPG on the highway

t2.jpg

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
They may have only made about 50 of those intakes. They are supposed to be about 40 HP better than stock. Look way cool. There are better intakes out there and should be more soon.We have one in the works. Design should be done this week.

The Z-11 will only work with the Z-11 heads.They were only put on 57 cars but they did sell some over the parts counter. Bad thing is most were raced and damaged. I've run mine for over 20 years. Going to "rest" them for a while.

I've looked into making the M/T manifold, but it is a ton of money. Maybe later.

Bob

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Bob maybe a Z-11 repro that fits your heads:)

Us Pontiac guys are a little more lucky I think Mickey made a few more so they are a little more common and cheaper-but they just fit the pre 65 heads and it takes alot of welding to fit the later heads. I've got one that I'll probably put on the 65 GTO once that project gets done.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob maybe a Z-11 repro that fits your heads:)

The bad thing about that is it probably wasn't that great of an intake. The new manifold will be able to fit stock 690 ports as well as the raised ports. Too bad we couldn't adapt a Max Wedge X-ram to fit. It's such a great look. Bob

wburge409@gmail.com

Well Known Member
Mickey Thompson Intake

Years ago I had a NOS cross ram and low horsepower dual four intakes but was using the Z-11 heads so sold them to Don Shafer. Don Evans of the "Goldenrod" fame used a cross ram with some success but I'm not sure it gave him 40 more horses. They sure looked good, though. Forget who made the low horse intakes. Anyone remember?

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Years ago I had a NOS cross ram and low horsepower dual four intakes but was using the Z-11 heads so sold them to Don Shafer. Don Evans of the "Goldenrod" fame used a cross ram with some success but I'm not sure it gave him 40 more horses. They sure looked good, though. Forget who made the low horse intakes. Anyone remember?
Bill I got my info from a great engine builder. He said adding 660 Holleys from a tunnel ram and I think 1 inch spacers made a total of 66 extra hp over stock.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Bob but a raised dual quad with better runners like the Air Gap dual quads for the BBC/SBC vs their plain dual quad would give a straighter shot at the port, and looks like the Z-11. I know the Eddy intake flowed better than a factory dual quad.

Jerod Jardine

Well Known Member
Isn't "yellowwagon" building his motor right know with the M/T cross ram? Maybe he has an idea what it's worth in todays money.

wburge409@gmail.com

Well Known Member
Tunnel ram on Z-11 heads

The last summer I raced the "Living legend" I had a home made tunnel ram on the Z-11 heads with two sideways 660's and ran 10:80's with an ATI and 456's. Engine had a completly different sound. Remember the 660's had a dead spot on the launch?? Some said they all did. Don Shafer said to grind the cam linkage??? Well, I think he said that. Sent that setup to Lamar after selling the car. He might still have it.