oil out of front fill tube

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
With my new motor, when I get up in r.p.m.'s 6000 plus, I get oil out of my front fill tube. I am running an edelbrock intake. It never happened with the factory 881 intake. I have the road draft tube plugged and no breathers in the covers. I ran this same combo before with no problems, except the 881 intake. Will I have to add valve cover breathers or is there a baffle I can add to the fill tube? If I keep the rpm's 5000 or less there is no problem. New motor has 200 miles on it and runs great. Don't believe it is a mechanical problem :broken rings etc... Any ideas?

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
just my thoughts........... the only vent you have for the base pressure is the oil fill tube........ very marginal, but it was OK before so it should work. You will have higher base pressure until your new rings seat in properly so it might be fine when you get some miles on it....... If you put oil on the rings when you put it together it will take longer for them to seat, could be 1000 miles or so. If you used automatic transmission fluid it will only take a couple of hundred miles.

Dave

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No way a oil fill breather will vent the motor properly. Don't know how you got away with it with the #881 but you need to evacuate the crankcase pressure.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Brian

I have 6-700 miles on my setup--same intake as yours--does the same thing--pukes a little after running her hard. Just wipe the old gal down when you're done:roll:brow:dunno Pressure probably ain't good in the long run. Finally got her back on the road?

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Yea Dave, back together. I hate the mess and the smell. I will have to come up with some valve cover breathers. Anyone got any ideas? I am looking for somthing that can be hidden.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Yea Dave, back together. I hate the mess and the smell. I will have to come up with some valve cover breathers. Anyone got any ideas? I am looking for somthing that can be hidden.
Are you guys using a PCV valve in the back of the intake connected to the rear carb? I have not had any oily issues, but the again, I don't drive around the neighborhood at 6 grand either!:roll

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:scratchDave which valve covers are you using? If at all possible some kind of PCV system will be worth 5 fo 8 HP.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Leo, get out of the neighborhood, and wind her up already! I usually shift 6500 or so. The engine likes it.:beer

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I replaced my front oil filler tube, with a filler tube that has a screw on oil cap. That stoped the oil coming out of the front tube, but you still have to evacuate your crankcase pressure, like Ronnie said. I use oil breathers on my valve covers and I run a hose from the tube on the back of my intake.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
does your engine have a rear draft tube. if so use that to bring in fresh air in aircleaner, use a fill tube with a pcv
valve attachment to carb like 63 vettes used. jim

Attachments

• 63 pcv.jpg
    63 pcv.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Stock_PCV.JPG
    Stock_PCV.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 39
  • PCVHose carb.jpg
    PCVHose carb.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 39

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had the same problem, but mine was excessive. I had breather on each valve cover, as well as the oil fill tube. I tried everyting. Remote catch cans off each valve cover and even went as far as adding a vacuum pump. Well, one day I drove the car out to the machine shop to get the crank mandrel machined and fab up some brackets to hold the pump. We got everything machined and installed, but I forgot to bring the hoses to connect everything together, so I was going to just leave everything the way it was until I got home to complete the setup. The machinist, Watt, was puzzled at how much oil was coming out of the oil fill tube so we did a few thing to try and figure out where the oil was coming from. I mean come on, there isn't that much pressure to push out over a quart of oil on a 30 minute drive! so we took the breather off the oil fill tube and I started the engine. Watt put his hand lightly over the tube and had me rev it up. Well, I went to 6000 rpm and he didn't even get a drop of oil on his hand. We sat there and stared at it for a about an hour and couldn't figure it out. How in the heck was the oil coming out of the fill tube???!!!!! We looked at everything we could to try and figure it out and that's when I thought about the breather I had on the fill tube....It was a K&N breather and that's when it hit me. The fill tube is directly behind the fan and is tilted at an angle....Well, guess what happens when you have alot of air rushing over an open hole...That's right, it creates a vacuum! I pushed the breather all the way down to seal up the tube. I still had the breathers in the valve covers. Watt told me to drive it like I stole it on the way home to see if there is enough base pressure to push the filter up (it would slide up with little effort) even with the valve cover breathers in place.. We were still thinking base pressure as the problem as well as my theory of the vacuum effect at this time. Well, I drove the snot out of it, pegged the speedo for at least 15 minutes straight and when I got home, not a drop of oil anywhere and the breather was still pushed down tight to the fill tube. Since I had already gone through the expense of purchasing and installing the vacuum pump I went ahead and completed the install and put a rubber freeze p[lug in the oil fill tube. I haven't had a problem ever since.

So, plug the oil fill tube or use a stock style breather and put in some valve cover breathers or use a PCV setup.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Good call! I'll have to try that. I have a K&n breather on my front tube that spits oil. I have been using a 3M scuff pad folded in half inserted in the tube to catch the oil. Maybe thats why the circle track guys run the breather with the shield on the front half.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Good call! I'll have to try that. I have a K&n breather on my front tube that spits oil. I have been using a 3M scuff pad folded in half inserted in the tube to catch the oil. Maybe thats why the circle track guys run the breather with the shield on the front half.

I have the shield on mine. I think it helps create even more of a venturi.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If you don't want breathers in the valve covers a PCV sset up does work well. I have one on mine and have had no issues.

Dave

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I may try a pcv system again. I had one once before, but it would pick up too much oil vapor.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I,ll cut you some slack. How did you shoot? I just started taking my 8 year old, Luke, shooting .22's a couple weeks ago. He does very well and enjoys it alot. My wife and I got him a single shot .22 for his birthday this year.