Updated My Office... well, mostly

After years of working so hard to be a non-conformist... I finally gave in.
I got my seat re-upholsterd, and added some "modernization".
To save weight, I ordered a new aluminum Grant steering wheel. Damn thing didn't have enough clearance for the signal light lever. So, I ended up using an old "classic" wood wheel that was hanging on my wall. Suite the car better anyhow... and hey, it turned out to be within an ounce of the same weight as the Grant wheel !
Got my new stafety harness. Nicer than the RCI one I had before. NHRA requires that these be updated every two years.
FINALLY installed a line lock !
And, hooked up my two step rev-limiter through switched to the 1st gear postion on the transmission, and to the clutch pedal.
Oh... and a shift light tach, with "tattle-tale" feature ( yeah, it caught my 7300+ RPM shift )
a few photos:
DSC0510230.jpgDSC0510330.jpgDSC0510430.jpgDSC0510530.jpg

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Aubrey, I don't understand how the rev limiter will work correctly hooked to the 1st gear position of the trans. Does it limit the RPMs when the trans is in 1st? If it does then won't it hit limiter as you leave the line and before your shift light comes on? Mine is on the clutch peddle.

Power goes through both, Dick. First to the 1st gear postion, then to the clutch pedal. Both have to provide a completed circuit before the "low side" rev limit will be activated. Once out of first gear, the low side rev limiter cannot be re-activated. When I hooked this up, I was worried that the low side would be touched on the 1st to 2nd gear change, causing the car to "nose over" for a moment. naaaaaaaah, not even close.
My high limit is set at 7400, my low limit will depend on how this works. I have NEVER launched this car that hard before ( that's why the 1.59-1.60 60 fts, and poor ET's, given the good trap speed ), so I'm hoping with good hot tires, and a more agressive launch, that I'll experince some runs into the 10's. I expect to use a 5800-6000 RPM chip for launch. ( car and me together, have lost 40 pounds off of the weight we were at last time in Mission, puting the car right at my minimum of 3635 with driver ).

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice! Is that the Rick Switch setup? I have mine with a switch on the fork for the low side and tied into the line lock with relay. Really nice not having to hold any buttons while staging. Just let off the clutch and everything is off. Helped with consistency too. On a side note it is really b.s. with nhra aka "no hot rods allowed" only giving 2 years on the belts. Just about every circle track sanctioning body allows five years. And they are running into each other all the time not to mention the sweat and dirt from the longer races. The dirt track guys are getting them full of mud and hosing them down, but the nhra only a quarter mile at a time is two years.:bang Just ranting.

Nah... I heard about the "rick switch"... I dunno ?
I did the same as you. My clutch switch is actually on the release fork. No relay allowed in Stock. No matter. This seems ultra simple:dunno.

I didn't know that about oval track racing. No doubt, NHRA ( no happy racers allowed ) is just pushing sponsor's products.

Now, if I can just get past my helmet problem:bang

Oh, BTW... yes, I DO have to have signal lights.... I drive the car around sometimes:deal

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I think every 2 years on the belts is overkill on the safety thing. If a car runs under 14 seconds, a 50 year old lap belt is OK. :dunno

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The rick switch is the same setup you have. Switch on the fork and one on 1st. They are Whats your helmet problem? just switches from any industrial supply house and some nice brackets. What is your helmet problem? I have turns signals too and the horn still works! Comes in handy when your crew member is looking at the sky and you need to get their attention:roll

My helmet problem ?
pressure, heat, weight, impedes hearing and peripheral vision,
and a degree of claustrophobia:grumble
yeah... I think that covers it;)

Can't stand them. Never could stand them. The main reason I have no interest in motorcycles, ATV's, or even snowmobiles.
I call the condition "helmet head".

This is the biggest reason that I'll never win, or even go rounds in bracket style racing ( Stock is still mostly a form of bracket racing ). Can't concentrate on the light, or just about anything else, with the heat and pressure on my head.

oh well... just another personal human flaw:yawn

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My helmet problem ?
pressure, heat, weight, impedes hearing and peripheral vision,
and a degree of claustrophobia:grumble
yeah... I think that covers it;)

Can't stand them. Never could stand them. The main reason I have no interest in motorcycles, ATV's, or even snowmobiles.
I call the condition "helmet head".

This is the biggest reason that I'll never win, or even go rounds in bracket style racing ( Stock is still mostly a form of bracket racing ). Can't concentrate on the light, or just about anything else, with the heat and pressure on my head.

oh well... just another personal human flaw:yawn

Don't you live out in the boondocks, so to speak? Shit go out to the back forty, trash the helmet and flog the shit out of that car. Much more fun and a lot cheaper too!

Don't you live out in the boondocks, so to speak? Shit go out to the back forty, trash the helmet and flog the shit out of that car. Much more fun and a lot cheaper too!

ABSOLUTELY !!!! But I need people to race against:bang
If I could run without a helmet... you'd never see that many .000 lights for the rest of your days:brow
Thought about having a driver... hhhmmm.... just can't do that.

Bryan... thank you for the thought.... but I think NHRA wouldn't accept it:dunno... has no sponsor logo on it.

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I'm sure a logo could be thought of :rolleyes. Just think of the bad lights the guy next to you would be getting while staring at you

What's worrying me more than anything here right now.... is.....
what are you guys searching for when you stumble across that "special" helmet ?

:roll:roll

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
A friend of mine actually bought one of those at a big bike show in Chillicothe ,Ohio and wore it around all the time. He's 6'5" it was a real site seeing him go down the road.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I would love to have the money to buy that car,change it over to an automatic:hide,it'd make one heck of a bracket car!:deal