valvefloat 380 stroker project

valvefloat

Well Known Member
20120621_224601.jpg20120621_224611.jpg20120621_224629.jpg Last October I found a 409 crank on Craigslist. I then searched this site to find out what a guy could do with a 409 crank and 348 block from 58. This site and the people on it are very helpful and filled with useful information!! So my original plan was to trim my 348 piston skirts, put them on 409 rods, wrap them around the 409 crank, bolt my 409 333 heads on the engine and I've got this cool combo!!!! Nope can't happen don't do it. Trimming 348 cast piston skirt enough will make them real weak. I was advised well by members on this site. So I came close to ending the plan and keeping my money. I started a conversation with Don Jacks!!! He had this cool idea. Take a KB-Icon forged piston for a 4" stroker bolt it to a BBC stroker 6.385 rod then wrap it around the 409 crank. The results are 380! Well i got my parts and finished fitting the assembly last night. It all fits! Its almost a zero deck height. Compression is around 9.5 with standard heads and gasket. Mine lower because I'm using 333 heads.
Hats off to Don. Heres some pics.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Use the .042 gasket here and it will be good to go with plenty of beef for future power improvements.As it is ,should cruise around on 87 octane fuel.:D

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
View attachment 19621View attachment 19622View attachment 19623 Last October I found a 409 crank on Craigslist. I then searched this site to find out what a guy could do with a 409 crank and 348 block from 58. This site and the people on it are very helpful and filled with useful information!! So my original plan was to trim my 348 piston skirts, put them on 409 rods, wrap them around the 409 crank, bolt my 409 333 heads on the engine and I've got this cool combo!!!! Nope can't happen don't do it. Trimming 348 cast piston skirt enough will make them real weak. I was advised well by members on this site. So I came close to ending the plan and keeping my money. I started a conversation with Don Jacks!!! He had this cool idea. Take a KB-Icon forged piston for a 4" stroker bolt it to a BBC stroker 6.385 rod then wrap it around the 409 crank. The results are 380! Well i got my parts and finished fitting the assembly last night. It all fits! Its almost a zero deck height. Compression is around 9.5 with standard heads and gasket. Mine lower because I'm using 333 heads.
Hats off to Don. Heres some pics.

How much were the KB pistons? Thinking of doing a build like this for my wagon looks good:bow

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Brian,Show-Cars is the exclusive [or so thet told me] dealer for K-B pistons for the stock stroke 348 engines.They're rated at 10.9-1 with the car heads,which might be a little high for a street,daily driver type station wagon,but with a set of 333's could be made to work well ,I would think.They werent availeable when I first started my project.

valvefloat

Well Known Member
I called the local speed shop. The sell KB pistons. THey called KB about getting these for me and they could not. To bad! I had gift certs from the wife there and the head of sales gives me like 30% off!!!!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Bent valves,piston to cyl.head contact :barf:bang,and lot of extra work :cuss!!!!! Most gasket sets come with the thick gaskets anyway.