New super chevy with fuel hilborn fuel injection

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I just took a glance at it and was disgusted. I don't have exact numbers but was making under 300 horse with a dual quad and gained around 40 horse with the injection but still didn't hit 300 horse something fishy there.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Actually Bryan, I think the gain was 20 rwhp. $7,530 for the kit and not including new gas tank, high pressure pump, regulators, and assorted stainless lines. BUT, better drivability and improved gas milage. gas milage ?? One question I have for the EFI guys is air filtration. Velocity stacks were shortened to get 1/2 inch clearance between stack tops and bottom of hood. Are there little air filters somewhere in the stacks? I don't know, just wondering. Surely you wouldn't have a $8,000 fuel injection system on a $15,000 engine and not have some sort of air filter. I have some nasty comments to make about the project but I'm not going to. I'm turning over a new leaf and am going to be " mister nice guy". But I must say the article was embarassing to the 409 world. JMO

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I too am pretty upset about the article. 482" W motor and can't make 300whp? That injection system is neat but it's obviously for the guy with deeper pockets than me. I buy parts that provide the most bang for the buck.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have no idea what you folks are discussing, but if stupid chevy is involved I understand. I quit wasting my time and money on that POS rag years ago, seriously.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
482 cu. in. Edelbrock heads , hyd. roller ( 254/254 @ .050,,,, Edelbrock 2x4 intake with 2- 500 cfm carbs. 61 Chevy.......... 236 rwhp--------- Pull edelbrock intake and carbs and replace with Hillborn efi.......... 256 rwhp........

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
482 cu. in. Edelbrock heads , hyd. roller ( 254/254 @ .050,,,, Edelbrock 2x4 intake with 2- 500 cfm carbs. 61 Chevy.......... 236 rwhp--------- Pull edelbrock intake and carbs and replace with Hillborn efi.......... 256 rwhp........

Just goes to show ya, buy Region Rat's heads, those Edelbrocks are not very good! (or the clutch slipped like a mofo)

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
My eddys flow 325cfm on the intakes no complaints. But if I were to do it again I would definitely buy Bob Wallas heads could get a little more flow from them.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Something wrong here. Either that's a heartbreaker dyno or that engine isn't running right. Missing at least 175-180 whp somewhere

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
My engine combo years ago, stock stroke 409 with 348 heads and three twos made 268 RWHP. with 9.5 comp. and a 224/224@ .050 Hyd flat tappet Comp cam . By the way, this was on a Mustang dyno. If that makes a difference?

HAS TO be some kind of mis-print / mis-quote. Can't be real.
Remember the dyno comparisons of a bunch of the original muscle car engines ?
Wasn't exactly apples to apples:no
There was a 421 Pontiac that made 500 HP... or something ike that ( see, I'm doing it:crazy )
And Lamar Walson built a restored 62 409 HP 409, that made 377.
It might be just a hunch, but I think Lamar usually builds engines with a little more power than that.
Unfortunately, he was the only guy who followed the rules for the build.
no matter now
But that kind of bad publicity, doesn't do the W block world any good.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
NASTY, those aren't dream world dyno readings,,,,, they are nightmare readings. :roll Not that it matters to me but if I were a Hilborn executive, I would be a little disappointed that that article was published. And as far as my question about air filters,, that is an honest question, I don't have a clue how that works and am curious. If anybody has information about it , I would like to know. Not that I would ever be able to afford that type of induction, I do like to learn new stuff.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't think they use an air filter. If it fit inside the stacks, it would be VERY restrictive. The right way would be to have a setup like a sprint car, but that would ruin the "look" which is why most be would buy that setup in the first place. As far as the power numbers in that article, something is seriously wrong.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ishiftem, Thanks for the reply. The reason I asked is that my machinist has very strong opinions on the subject. He claims that during a teardown that he can tell if an engine has been using an air filter or not. His opinion is so strong that it has caused me to look at the issue much more closely. Drag racing without an air filter is pretty common but not something I would do now. I certainly could not run unfiltered air in a street car though . Lots of things in that particular article that are questionable.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A thought from " thinking out loud". I'm sure I will regret this one. :roll:roll The car has a T 700 R4 trans. Could the chassis dyno be set at 1;1 drive ratio but the pulls were made in O.D. ???

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Most likely a typo, the 236 256 is probably 436 456................ With that said, the thing that is probably spot on is the small 20hp gain with a very expensive fuel system:eek