350 to 348 motor mount conversion

Razecarz

had a 350 on my 62 impala frame but found a 348 done up as a 409. As I am doing an SS tribute car decided to do a 409 tribute. Why not? Anyway, I can't find a straight answer on how to find a motot mount that will give me the clearance I need for oil pan/cross member and power steering pump/steering box (605) using the frame mounts I have on for the 350. I got the tall and narrow motor mounts but they are too narrow for the 350 perches. How are people getting this done? Is there somewhere to get the right frame mount to work with this tall and narrow body mount, or is there a motor mount that will work with the short and wide frame mount? sorry I sold my 350. Thx

Razecarz

short wide mount is needed tall narrow is for later gm

thanks, but thats what i had in there to start with. Had trouble getting my power steering pump in without butting up against my steering box. Then noticed I had no clearance between front sway bar and crankshaft pulley, so couldn't get a belt in there. Then noticed oil pan was almost touching front cross member. Concluded motor needed to come up. Got on forums and found out there was a short and wide and a tall and narrow mount. Problem is the frame mount from one type doesn't mate up with the body mount of the other type. Went to look at a 60 El Camino with a factory original 348 and saw that center of bolt was just over 2" from base of that motor mount, so bought these motor mounts. But now I need a frame mount that is also narrow.

Razecarz

thanks, but thats what i had in there to start with. Had trouble getting my power steering pump in without butting up against my steering box. Then noticed I had no clearance between front sway bar and crankshaft pulley, so couldn't get a belt in there. Then noticed oil pan was almost touching front cross member. Concluded motor needed to come up. Got on forums and found out there was a short and wide and a tall and narrow mount. Problem is the frame mount from one type doesn't mate up with the body mount of the other type. Went to look at a 60 El Camino with a factory original 348 and saw that center of bolt was just over 2" from base of that motor mount, so bought these motor mounts. But now I need a frame mount that is also narrow.

Oh, yeah. It seems that no one sells that half. Or do they?

Razecarz

I guess I'm asking how i can put a348 in where i removed a350? I swapped my motor mounts from the 350 to the 348 and thought all was good until i tried to install my power steering pump and even though i had purchased the right brackets for this motor i ran into the clearance problems i mentioned above.

Razecarz

I need the motor to go up 7/16"and was thinking of just putting spacers between the mounts and the motor or the mounts and the frame or a little of each. would rather get the proper mounts if possible.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
I guess I'm asking how i can put a348 in where i removed a350? I swapped my motor mounts from the 350 to the 348 and thought all was good until i tried to install my power steering pump and even though i had purchased the right brackets for this motor i ran into the clearance problems i mentioned above.

Sounds like your problem is with the power steering pump and box, not the mounts. The 348 would use the same mounts and stands as the SBC.

Which pump, brackets, and steering box are you using? What sway bar and crank pulley?

Razecarz

Shouldn't there be at least some room between oil pan and cross member? There's barely enough room for a toothpick to squeeze in there.

Razecarz

Sounds like your problem is with the power steering pump and box, not the mounts. The 348 would use the same mounts and stands as the SBC.

Which pump, brackets, and steering box are you using? What sway bar and crank pulley?

605 steering box with adapter plate, original sway bar, pulley is dual pulley, same diameter as harmonic balancer.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Shouldn't there be at least some room between oil pan and cross member? There's barely enough room for a toothpick to squeeze in there.
Yes there should be about 3/4". Do the mount your using look like the ones in the link that I posted?

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You need the taller mounts and I don't think any of the rubber after market manufactures make the taller ones. I could be wrong but don't think so. I think only energy suspension make both the taller and lower mount.

Razecarz

You need the taller mounts and I don't think any of the rubber after market manufactures make the taller ones. I could be wrong but don't think so. I think only energy suspension make both the taller and lower mount.
I agree, I think I definitely need the taller mounts. But the taller mounts need a narrow perch as there doesn't seem to be a "tall" mount that fits the standard perch or frame mount.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
had a 350 on my 62 impala frame but found a 348 done up as a 409. As I am doing an SS tribute car decided to do a 409 tribute. Why not? Anyway, I can't find a straight answer on how to find a motot mount that will give me the clearance I need for oil pan/cross member and power steering pump/steering box (605) using the frame mounts I have on for the 350. I got the tall and narrow motor mounts but they are too narrow for the 350 perches. How are people getting this done? Is there somewhere to get the right frame mount to work with this tall and narrow body mount, or is there a motor mount that will work with the short and wide frame mount? sorry I sold my 350. Thx

I am not sure why your 409/348 will not fit your frame. I have never had a problem with 409's fitting my frames(have built 5 different 409 cars over the years), as long as the frame has V-8 frame mounts bolted to it. Here are the correct v-8 frame mounts link(I have pictures mounted on my frame that I can e-mail) I have about 1/2" TO 3/4" of clearance with my frame with the rear of the 409 pan to the frame. With the correct 409 motor mounts(on the motor) switching from a 350 or a 327 to a 409/348 (which I have done 3 times) should be a bolt in.
http://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-size-chevy-engine-frame-side-mounts-v8-1958-1964.html

For the power steering fit for 605 units and borgenson 600 series - like those posted in this Chevy Talk link below I posted- for fit on a 409 motor with the frame. It depends on how the pump mounts and having the correct 409 pulleys/brackets. Most units reuse the original pittman arm. 409 pumps require a special 409 or 348 only pulley on the pump and 409 or 348 only pump mounting brackets. For the 409 PS mounts & pulleys - I posted the links with pictures in this discussion.
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/298759/

Just to ask all the questions, Do you have the correct pan on the motor, and the correct rear transmission mount ?

Paul

Razecarz

Hi Paul,

Here are the frame mounts I bought from Classic Industries.

http://www.classicindustries.com/impala/parts/B1726.html

They appear to be the exact same thing. The transmission mount that is in there is the one the car came with when I got it. It had a 350SBC and Turbo 350 transmission in it. I just assumed that would not have to be changed. However, now that you mention it, my drive shaft sits rather high in the tunnel. If the back end of that motor was brought down it would bring the front end up, obviously. Although I have to wonder how the through bolt holes could possible line up if the motor was not level? Or is there that much flex in the motor mounts? I think I am going to drop that transmission mount out of there and see where the motor wants to go naturally, just out of curiosity.

And while I am being curious, I have to wonder, if there is only one frame mount, how is it that there is a short and wide as well as a tall and narrow motor mount? What kind of mount could anyone put that tall and narrow onto?

thx

Rae

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
which holes on the frame do you have the trans cross mount on upper or lower?
tall and narrow is for later years.
if you take the cross member out and let the engine down eventually the dist will hit the firewall.

Razecarz

which holes on the frame do you have the trans cross mount on upper or lower?
tall and narrow is for later years.
if you take the cross member out and let the engine down eventually the dist will hit the firewall.
Going to have to take a look at that when I get home tonite. If memory serves me right, I seem to recall that there was one hole on on side and two holes on the other side. Picked the holes that made the thing level. But I could be wrong about that. I may have to sneak home and take a peak. Curiosity is getting the better of me.