My Cecil truck

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes, I did the paint. Pictures don't show it because of the location. Looks flat because of nothing around it to reflect. It does have a shiny finish. The energy comes from stubbornness. I wanted it,, I bought it, but it was unacceptable the way it was. Can't afford to pay for paint and body so I had to get it done. So glad that's over with. Now, back to 409 business.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Yes, I did the paint. Pictures don't show it because of the location. Looks flat because of nothing around it to reflect. It does have a shiny finish. The energy comes from stubbornness. I wanted it,, I bought it, but it was unacceptable the way it was. Can't afford to pay for paint and body so I had to get it done. So glad that's over with. Now, back to 409 business.
Funny you should mention this, I was thinking how smooth and shinny the finish looked. I think you did a first class job and if I got my truck from the body shop looking as good as yours I'd be really happy!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Very nice truck Ronnie, didn't know these trucks were available with 8 bolt wheels.

Don

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm amazed at your work Ronnie. The truck looks awesome!!! But what I'm amazed about is.............................3 months...8 hours a day...6 days a week............I HAVE NEVER spent that much time on any project....EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hey, he stole it. It was in great shape when he got it......except for paint, a few small dents, and only one rust spot so you have to ask yourself why it took so long. A little scuffing and a trip to MAACO should have handled it, but NOOOOOO, Ronnie is a perfectionist (read OCD) and just had to spend all that time filling gas tank holes and fixing minor dents that most of us (or maybe just me) wouldn't have even noticed. For all that unnecessary busybody work, I expect to see it in Kansas in Sept with a W in it.;)

:clap:cheers:dance

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It took so long because I am a cheapy-skate. Nobody and I mean nobody would have touched that tailgate. It was damaged so bad that anyone else would simply pick up the phone and order a aftermarket tailgate. Not me, noooooooooooo, not me. I have over a week of labor in that sucker. You'll never believe what has got me in a delay right now. Installed new heater core yesterday, need defrost hose. Figured I would run down to the hardware store or parts store and pick some up. Maybe even Home Depot. Nope, Nobody stocks that stuff anymore. I used to see it hanging on the walls of every parts store , back in the day. I even called the local Chevrolet dealer. The parts guy laughed at me, literally. So, got it ordered, but a week til delivery. Oh well, new wiper motor arrives today so I'll just keep on keeping on.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I see them on newer trucks, didn't know they were available in this vintage, I only remember 6 bolt.

Thanks Dan.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I see them on newer trucks, didn't know they were available in this vintage, I only remember 6 bolt.

Thanks Dan.
6-Lug was C10 half ton. Then in 1973 C10 went to 5-lug. That is why everyone wants to change out the front crossmember to 73'-87, its a bolt in, because it has 5 on 5 bolt pattern and disc brakes and rubber bushings as apposed to the steel bushings. Same deal on the rear end 71'-87' 5 on 5.

Last edited:

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
My son has a 71 C10. It has the 5 bolt pattern, Must have started in 71 when disc brakes came along. My pickups are all K's, 4x4's.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My Dad's 31 Chev car was the same 6 bolt as the 6 bolt 2wd trucks, later 4WD - Chevies, and Toyotas and Nissans.