Vintage marine 409 twin turbo??

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Offshore boat site says only two made and one was some sort or record holder.

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
Lamar's had these engines for years. He said they came out of a saltwater boat in south Florida. Also, apparently one ran a normal rotation and the other was reversed and were ran off a chain drive. According to Lamar, they use the smaller 340 horse heads as the turbo's responded better to the smaller intake ports. He said he was working on a engine display for GM or Chevrolet that was going to tour the country and these engines would be placed in a makeshift bilge (partially submerged) with an outdrive. It's been a long time since I've seen these engines but I think I'm correct in what he told me.

Jeremy

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Well your "sorta" right. They probably used the 340Hp heads due to the smaller EXHAUST port, not intake. Turbo's need airspeed to spin the turbine.

Still a neat set-up. Wonder how much Hp those made??? I bet with today's turbo's you could make a TON of power, but these OEM '09 blocks might get hurt.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Talked to a guy this weekend at Pate Swap Meet and he was telling me about a friend of his that had a 409 that said Daytona on the valve covers. Said had all this cover on top of the engine. Never said anything about turbo's. Told him I had never seen or heard of a 409 Daytona engine. Guess they are real.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I still can't wait until someone builds a turbo 348/409! Wait.......:brow
I was going to but there is a lot of custom work from the front dump headers, mounting points and other custom fittings/lines, it is going to be easier and cheaper to go with a ProCharger setup.

Plus, if the turbo (which can spin at 100k rpm) frags/blows up, the oil line isn't on a separate filter system and is likely to leave small chunks of metal to take out the engine as well. You'd think it would be simple to solve but most aren't installed with a separate filter line/system.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
A small oil filer,like is used on a lot of heavy equipment/industrial diesel engines would be easy to adapt in a custom set up such as this.I would consider it mandantory.

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
I was going to but there is a lot of custom work from the front dump headers, mounting points and other custom fittings/lines, it is going to be easier and cheaper to go with a ProCharger setup.

Plus, if the turbo (which can spin at 100k rpm) frags/blows up, the oil line isn't on a separate filter system and is likely to leave small chunks of metal to take out the engine as well. You'd think it would be simple to solve but most aren't installed with a separate filter line/system.

Not sure on the CHEAPER part??? Easier I would say yes, cheaper, not sure. MOST turbo's DO NOT come apart till guys REALLY lean on them. I know of a guy up here that was going through a F3 Procharger every race weekend. I think he was also Prochargers FIRST 10.5 car in the 6's. I recall him having 5 or 6 units as there was always one on car, one in transit, one getting fixed and at least 1 spare.

BTW you using a newer block?????

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not sure on the CHEAPER part??? Easier I would say yes, cheaper, not sure. MOST turbo's DO NOT come apart till guys REALLY lean on them. I know of a guy up here that was going through a F3 Procharger every race weekend. I think he was also Prochargers FIRST 10.5 car in the 6's. I recall him having 5 or 6 units as there was always one on car, one in transit, one getting fixed and at least 1 spare.

BTW you using a newer block?????
No, this is my original 348 from a '58 casting with the water jackets. Since I'm not going to do a lot of drag racing, I don't expect be keeping the throttle at wide open all the time.

The cheaper part (in my expectation) is I'll be using their BB Chevy kit which should run about 4800 - 4900. I'm expecting there to be less custom fab. I'll probably be using FAST XFI to control the fuel injection and the coil packs I want to use.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I dont think there'll be any block issues with a properly prepared 5011 block up to 10-12 psi of boost,and about 6000 rpm[pretty much the limit for a hydraulic roller without a rev kit.]

oil4kids

Well Known Member
President Lynden B Johnson had a Glastron powered by a 409 daytona engines ,, secret service had Ford 427s to try to keep up

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:bowThank you for posting this,Mark!:love I ,personally, HATED LBJ,but I do like his taste in boats