348-409 NATIONAL CONVENTION NO. 2

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I thuoght maybe you were a Chevelle guy, too. I didn't think there could be two of them. It's very cool.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Have any results, E.T.s, etc, been posted from the convention? Thanks

Everyone was running a little slower than normal.
The track was really good but the altitude at Great Bend is 1870 ft. and there was a crosswind as well as warm temperatures.
I think most guys were running about three tenths off of their best times.

The exception was Fred Kenedy's Mustard III car.
Coming from the mile high altitude of Denver, I'm guessing his car liked the relatively low altitude of Kansas.
I think Fred ran a 8.33 ET, it was the quickest car there by a good margin. :beer

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
The track also ran uphill! Lonnie from the track showed me. No wonder cars were a little slow.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I'd like to thank Phil & his whole crew for a great event. Congrats to Bryan & Gerry with their wins. Really nice to get together & visit with the whole "W" family. Apologies to the people I didn't get to meet. Thanks for the memories. Dave

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
They only made one pass and at about half track they bent some pushrods. Apparently there was a valve train issue. They wern't very happy.
That's too bad. If it's just pushrods it shouldn't be too expensive to get it back up and running.
I think that car is going to be really quick once it's sorted out.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Everyone was running a little slower than normal.
The track was really good but the altitude at Great Bend is 1870 ft. and there was a crosswind as well as warm temperatures.
I think most guys were running about three tenths off of their best times.

The density altitude at the track that day was 4700 feet, plus crosswind, plus an uphill track :doh

The headers on your 55 are awesome btw, they look like art! They sound cool too, a lot different than regular headers when your car's goin down the track:cool:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That's too bad. If it's just pushrods it shouldn't be too expensive to get it back up and running.
I think that car is going to be really quick once it's sorted out.
Butch talked with him and said that a couple of valves were stuck in the head. He also said it was a new Lamar Walden engiene. I sure hope the valve seats arn't the issue like Brian had.

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The last picture here is my new friend I met @ GB and him and I did a powerful lot of bench racing together. He is the only one that would stay and listen to my stories. He did have about an 1/2 inch chain tied to his neck (not that big but just exaggerating) but by the looks of him he could of chewed that into anytime he wanted but we got along real fine. Thanks for bringing him Jim. I really enjoyed him his company. He has to be a super race partner for sure. Butch

Attachments

• IMG_9680.JPG
    IMG_9680.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9796.JPG
    IMG_9796.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_9645.JPG
    IMG_9645.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9703.JPG
    IMG_9703.JPG