Shop lift opinions needed

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I have acquired a new garage/shop and will need to install a lift. This will not receive daily use as in a commercial garage. It will be used to do maintanence on the cars and to clean or detail underneath. Also will be used to do maintanence on my F350.
any comments on the various combinations, capacities and brands of lifts are appreciated.
Robert

bobs409

Administrator
Bend Pak 4 post here. Great for storing another car on top without the suspension hanging. Turns a 1 car garage into a 2 car! :D (or in my case, a 2 car into a 3)

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I can get my 62 on a 2 post but it takes a little time. If I had to lift it a lot I would build an adapter to catch the rear frame easier. The 2 post lets you pull the wheels and do suspension work unobstructed which is nice. The 4 post is nice for oil changes, exhaust, trans work. I do not use the trolly jacks on my 4 post. I think you need one of each! Just figure out what type of work you will be doing, and buy a hoist that is best suited for those jobs. If storage is of any concern, I would but a 4 post.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
thanks for the replies so far. Bob at this facility I have "found" I can really pack stuff in so Bob I am not sure how to describe how many car garage it is! My car trailer will fit in it, my boat and both cars although I might have to have a low rider kit for the boat windshield to clear the door as ceiling height isn't a problem! Could be Ann will move me in it because has a well and approved septic system!
Seriously though I won't need the lift for true storage but would like to see photos if available of getting our X cars on a two post as it will be used for lots of "wheels off" stuff and underbody clean ups of the 62. I believe a 4 post is much better for underbody work but not sure about tire rotation and brake work as currently I use jack stands and rolling creeper. I am also thinking about not sizing it for my heavy F350 just cars.
Robert

Last edited:

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Lifting an X frame car on a 2-post lift is tricky. Need to have the longer arms on the lift for trucks

No409

Supporting Member 1
i have forward DP10`s in my shop, i can pick up my 63`s pretty easily. there 10K. ill put f350s on them, i dont put dump trucks( there always rear heavy) thats why im looking into a 14K 4 post

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I bought an inexpensive 4-post and have not had any problems. I use the lifting tray and bottle jacks for wheel work.

But...if I had it to do over again I would spend a little more and get a Bend-Pak with the trolley or cross-jack setup. At the very least I should have gone around to a few shops and looked at what was available. Some require 220 and/or air which can be a little extra work.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There are pictures on here somewhere of a 2 post and adapter that a member built just for the rear arms to work with the X-frame. I can try to find them tonight. We talked about this about a year or 2 ago. I have an old 2 post that I bought from work when we moved, but it is not installed yet. (No shop to put it in, but hoping to have that done this spring.) I need to find those pictures of the adapter so I can make one anyway.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Before buying my 2 post, 9000 lb. rated lift 2 years ago, I did some research. I compared the 2 post against the 4 post. Each design is fine in its own right, depends what you want to use it for. I liked the 4 post because you didn't have to bend down to align the lifting arms and it could come with casters to make if mobile. Move it where you want it. There was also an optional center sliding jack that would allow you to lift the car for maybe brake work. I think the 4 post to me is better suited for storage. It certainly doesn't preclude you from working on your car. I originally wanted a 4 post, but they also take more room length wise because of the drive up ramps. I would have been cramped with the 4 post. Overall, I'm happy with my 2 post. As previously mentioned in another thread, its not user friendly with an x frame car. What I do with my '62 is, I drive it in the garage, jack it up, dollies under the wheels and then move it in place. Not a lot of distance to spare, especially in the front. Raise it and put a tall jack stand in the front and rear; I don't trust anyone's lift including my own. The stands give me peace if mind while working under it. I then work on the car. I know it sounds like a pain, because it is, but that's what I do. I like the 2 post because everything is hanging right there in front of you. No obstructions. I don't think a 2 post is good for long term storage, like over the winter. I wouldn't leave anything on a 2 post any real length of time. It all comes down to what you are going to use it for. They both have their assets and liabilities. I might also add that this Spring, I'm thinking about having the roof raised on my older garage part and buying a 4 post lift primarily with storage un mind. My lift is an Eagle brand, Carmine.

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
0310092143a.jpg 2011-11-15_17-32-50_446.jpg I use a Challenger 9000# asymmetrical 2 post. With truck adaptors and a 9000# 4 post more for storage. Have had plenty of crew cab dually diesel trucks on 2 post. 4 post has jack tray and rails for the air jack but didn't get it has rollers to move 4 post around have also had crew cab duallys on 4 post. The 2 post is wide enough that you can open door to get out. I use a old piece of roll bar padding to protect door when opening. Hope this helped. Scott

Last edited:

Licensed to kill

Well Known Member
My brother has 2 9000lb bend pac 4 post lifts. He loves them. One is used just for double decker storage and the other for working on cars. I just ordered a 10,000lb bend pac asymmetrical, low profile 2 post. I went with the 2 post because the 4 post would take up too much real estate when not in use and it can be used for more than a 4 post (lifting off a body for example) and as others have mentioned, easier to do brakes, tire rotation suspension work and so on. Whether or not I made the right choice is still to be determined as it hasn't arrived yet.

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Robert, Brian Thompson did a lot of research on this when he started the Impala Shop back in 2010 I believe. There were a lot of posts on this subject.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Robert, Brian Thompson did a lot of research on this when he started the Impala Shop back in 2010 I believe. There were a lot of posts on this subject.

Thanks Barry, I recall that there was quite a discussion on this several years ago but couldn't find it and didn't recall it was Brian's. Some interesting comments above so I am glad I asked.
I wonder how you mount a two post if concrete is 4 inches?
Robert

bobs409

Administrator
I think you need at least 6 inches for a 2 post. Just cut 2 sections out where needed and "go deep". :D

On the other hand, a 4 post needs nothing! I don't even have mine bolted down and it doesn't move.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I think you need at least 6 inches for a 2 post. Just cut 2 sections out where needed and "go deep". :D

On the other hand, a 4 post needs nothing! I don't even have mine bolted down and it doesn't move.

Its recommended that a 2 post lift have at least 6" of 3000 psi reinforced concrete. For a little more, I went with 4000 psi. As mentioned, the 4 post doesn't need this.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Its recommended that a 2 post lift have at least 6" of 3000 psi reinforced concrete. For a little more, I went with 4000 psi. As mentioned, the 4 post doesn't need this.
I guess I'm overly cautious but there's no way I would walk under a two post lift bolted to 6 inches of concrete.
If I was going to install a two post lift in an existing building with a 4 inch concrete floor. I would rent a concrete saw, cut a 3' x 3' hole in the concrete under each post, dig a hole at least 24" deep then come back with 4000 psi concrete with four 18" long ankor bolts. Then I'd wait at least 3 or 4 days curing time before bolting the lift in place. Might be overkill but that's better than being killed

bobs409

Administrator
I guess I'm overly cautious but there's no way I would walk under a two post lift bolted to 6 inches of concrete.
If I was going to install a two post lift in an existing building with a 4 inch concrete floor. I would rent a concrete saw, cut a 3' x 3' hole in the concrete under each post, dig a hole at least 24" deep then come back with 4000 psi concrete with four 18" long ankor bolts. Then I'd wait at least 3 or 4 days curing time before bolting the lift in place. Might be overkill but that's better than being killed

Where's your sense of adventure Tommy? :teehee