Rear End Upgrade

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Here is a photo of a Dutchman axle next to a broken stock, and a stock. They look like Rick's Moser. (without the twist):roll
axles 004.jpg

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Wow just saw this. That really sucks i blew 4 up back in the 90's after i put the 409 in 3 at the strip one on the street and snapped the driveshaft on the street. I think you may be in the 12's. At least the pumpkin doesn't look damaged. Mine had a imprint of the ring gear on the housing.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ok.. This may not help the cause much, but the axles I ordered were Show Cars pn 7197, 59-64 Moser racing axles with 1/2" studs, $375.00. I bought the bearings from Mike (58 Delivery) and the retainers from a corvette place.(CorvetteCentral maybe??):dunno Now, a couple days later I'm thinking about a bolt in 9".... By the time I buy all that over, (axles, bearings, new spider gears, rebuild the posi, gears, etc,etc) not to mention either try to make a cap support or try to find someone to, I'm in for a whole lot more $$$$$ and time.. And then, that's no guarantee either.. I already have two axles I need to make table lamps out of, I don't need two more...:haha
Rick

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My vote would be a bolt in 9" housing/axle package which is around $1000......and just run whatever center section you can find cheap while you save up for or build one with a locker. I doubt you would need to worry about buying a new or used nodular center section unless you decide to make even more power and/or do some 4500+ rpm clutch dumps.
If that initial $1000 is too much right now (would be for me) then throw some stock axles and pumpkin in your stock housing while you save up. Unless you've got a spare posi center laying around then you are already going to have to spend that much just to replace what you had.

I guess I could have stopped with the above and am beating a dead horse :horse, but this isn't meant so much for you Ricky as for anyone else who may be in your boat.....as most all of us find ourselves in with the stock rears and more than stock power:

Years back I was running a stock 4.88 posi center with stock housing/axles. My car ran 8.0's in the 1/8th mile with a best of 1.80 sixty foot times with a 454/TH400, and 10.5" slicks. Definitely not setting the world on fire by any means, but from what everyone said then (and now) it is a miracle I didn't have the same breakage you did. I got to thinking about what my center was worth (paid $450 or so back then) and what it would cost me to upgrade to a 12 bolt which was probably around $800 back then....and decided that the smart thing to do was upgrade and sell the 4.88 chunk to recoup half the cost. It worked out for me except I never sold that 4.88 posi center, but it doesn't eat anything and will probably just appreciate anyway. Also the rear I have now should be enough to handle anything I'll ever throw at it.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
why not 8 3/4 Chrysler spiders and 28 spline axles with bearing caps. The unit I got form MHRP lasted 3 runs, but the issue was the Yukon gear spiders gears and a lot run that was in the market place. I was able to replace the spider gears from a guy that was aware of issue. I have it set up with 4:11 gear and run two combinations of tires.
1. bias 8.00x 14 x 28 inch tall 14.0? at 100-101
2. radial 225 70 14 .. 26.5 inch tall 14.teens? at 99-100

interesting thought... with the original 3:70 pumpkin and cast axles
3. radial 225 70 14 .. 26.5 inch tall best ever et 13.84 Thompson Ohio best overall performance 13.99 @102.5 Pure stock drags

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
There is a kit out there that changes the spiders to 30 spline in a GM stock posi unit,as they were all dana's anyway.I'm thinking that some of these parts may be Dana 44 stuff,These parts,along with the cap supports,and 30 spline axels reportedly are good for about 500 hp,but how much for all this compared to the 9 inch.Then there's the peace of mind factor in the stronger rear end to consider.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
why not 8 3/4 Chrysler spiders and 28 spline axles with bearing caps. The unit I got form MHRP lasted 3 runs, but the issue was the Yukon gear spiders gears and a lot run that was in the market place. I was able to replace the spider gears from a guy that was aware of issue. I have it set up with 4:11 gear and run two combinations of tires.
1. bias 8.00x 14 x 28 inch tall 14.0? at 100-101
2. radial 225 70 14 .. 26.5 inch tall 14.teens? at 99-100

interesting thought... with the original 3:70 pumpkin and cast axles
3. radial 225 70 14 .. 26.5 inch tall best ever et 13.84 Thompson Ohio best overall performance 13.99 @102.5 Pure stock drags
I had thought about that too Kevin, but it just turns into the peace of mind thing Don mentioned.. I already did it once, I don't want to do it again... Either way, gonna be a little while til I figure out what I'm gonna do... I have to leave it a one tire fire for a while...

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just giving you options:salute One other point that does not get mentioned is the amount of HP that it takes to turn rear ends, and this is from foggy memory. Someone can correct or had to my thought.

12 bolt GM - 18 Hp
9 inch ford -30 Hp
Dana 60- 35+ Hp

Don you are correct 30 spline Dana 44 is what I have

Quik9r

Dr Richard Kimble

Well Known Member
and a couple other potential problems
as you align hone / bore , threads get machined off a bit
depending on how much is removed , the alignment or "toe" of the rear wheels would be effected
and , you'd be moving the differential ( ring gear ) deeper towards the pinion , possibly making correct tooth contact impossible