Union grove this friday

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
If all goes well, me and my buddy Rob will be in Union Grove for the weekend. I am bringing my 62 and he is bringing his 73 Camaro. He has never raced before. The first time down the track was at our 409 gathering a month or so ago, in my car. We now have his car together to see how it will do. Small block 383 ,Muncie, tunnel ram, 4.30 spool, adjustable shocks............you get the drift. Hoping for mid 12s. My car has been put on a diet. I hope to shed 200 pounds or so with the exhaust, extra bumper braces, and whatever I can find. Hoping for 11.70s. This time my back should feel great. Does anybody have a contact for Union Grove I can call to find out what's all happening this weekend. Friday is test and tune, But I am curious if we can make some test and tune runs Saturday and Sunday as well. Hate to make a 6 hour trip for one day of racing.Thanks! Brian

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Man ya'll are going to have a great time. I hope the weather is perfect and you have a safe trip. Take pictures and/or video please. I forgot, which carbs is your friend running on the TR?

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
There is a set of 450 Holleys on the tunnel ram. I have to tell you, if you run a tunnel ram, lock the timing out before you start tuning. We went round and round with these carbs until we locked out the timing. Like nite and day. All of a sudden the adjustments came around to make sense and it runs excellent on the street. We shall see how it runs at the track. Took it out on the streets yesterday for some launches and it comes out of the hole pretty decent. Leaving at 3500 seems about right. No bog or other issues.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:pokeYou need to find a closer track.
Saturday is KOTS. You won't be able to do anything then because it's a private track rental. Don't know about Sunday.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
No kidding Dan. The next closest is about 4 hours from me. Union grove is about 6. We figured what's a couple more hours of driving. It looks like a Memorial race Sunday, but their web I'd down and I can't find any more info. If you know a number I could call for some info, that would be great. Thanks Brian.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sunday looks like the Walker memorial race. Really it's just an open day for anyone. You could go to the grove on Friday, Byron on Saturday (about an hour away) then back to the Grove on Sunday. Or you might just watch the action on Saturday for KOTS. It is a crazy event. I might be at the Grove on Friday night. Supposed to be great weather.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Holy shit Dan, you might be on to something!!! I will have to check and see. Thanks for the info and the tip about Byron!

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
One more thing. The event at Byron is using hand written time slips with just the et and mph. No incrementals like 60 foot or 1/8 mile etc. It's supposed to be cool but I think it's gay. It's impossible to see where your improvements are with no info.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Man it sucks missing out on a hat trick,........son of a.....Leaving for 9 days of shooting at St Louis at the Nationals Friday. I'd rather go racing with youse guys....

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
One more thing. The event at Byron is using hand written time slips with just the et and mph. No incrementals like 60 foot or 1/8 mile etc. It's supposed to be cool but I think it's gay. It's impossible to see where your improvements are with no info.

Damn Dan. I feel better already. Not into gay racing. What colors are you planning on wearing? I think you kinda look like perrywinkle would look good on you.....

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15

Make you tune off the set of your pants.
Like in the old days.