House plans for the Hot Rod guy

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
That would be the suspended concrete floor, which is planned to be 40' by 45' (at street level). I'm going to put a stick built structure on that level, up from the concrete subterranean basement. It will look like a house from the outside. That's part of the expense, I want it to fit in with the rest of the neighborhood, which has 28 buildings on five acres with a private street and private underground utilities. I went private some ten years ago, because the City refused to put the utilities underground. I hate the look of poles and wires above ground! So now I am the proud owner of a water main, a sewer line, several electrical boxes and two fireplugs, all hidden underground (well, to be truthful the boxes and fire plugs are above ground, but their connects are underground). Some of you have seen the drone video I put up a few weeks ago, that's the totality of my investment.

The lower level is 40' by 60' with a ten foot ceiling (and suspended concrete above that). I could have made the street level portion 40' by 60' also, but I wanted a portion of the basement to have a tall ceiling for the car lift down in the lower level :).

I do plan on putting some storage space up above as well :). That will be used to store all my "academic" stuff from the past 38 years of "publish or perish" :). As you might have guessed, I don't throw much stuff out...

Ran into one more legal snag last week that I am currently meandering through with my lawyer (at $250 an hour) and after that I should have clear sailing. Unfortunately I am already over budget on this project and one other that I just started two weeks ago. Why do they keep mailing me those invoices for concrete and rebar (we poured the footers last week)?

I'm gonna call it "the Down Under", which was a bar I frequented in my graduate school days in Cleveland, circa 1974-77. The dormer space with be "the Library", another bar I used to frequent :). Don't have a name for the street level segment as yet, I'm sure it'll come while building it. Everyone's invited once I get it completed. Bring your pool cues and your ping pong paddles :).

I think it's gonna be a great 2016 if I ever get this project on the tracks!

TomK

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Call the street level the 4owe9? Or The W?

Big garage by many people's standards Tom, but you have a lot of "stuff".

Congrats on getting to this stage.

Don

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
By the looks of that Man Shed, I have a feeling, someone's wife, will soon have a NEW car, and 409 pairs, of NEW shoe's.:dunno:clap:appl

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
One of my old drag racing buddies bought his towns old fire station/community center when the town built a new one. Uses one room for a bedroom, the kitchen was in place, and a meeting room is his living room. Back storage room has his brothers 1972 Corvette in it. The main room has 8 cars in it, including a Superbird , A Hemi GTX, his Roadrunner race car, a Little Red Truck, and some other Mopars fill the other spaces.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Hey Tom, been a long time!

Hope to see you in 2016 :). Maybe Bowling Green?

Happy New Year!
TomK

P.S. To those who think my lovely wife of 36 years now requires something in return, this has been a long time plan of mine. But she still suspects I am building something so that if I leave her I'll have a place to go (not the case). She's already got toooo many pairs of shoes (IMHO you only need two pair). She does get a one year old car every decade or so, I get the hand-me-down. I'm OK with that, I don't like car payments...