Fred Totten memorial shootout.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I talked with the track manager at Thompson raceway park about bringing the 409 cars to the track again and he seemed very interested. If you check out their web site it features the Wully Bully team cars launching. The web site has not posted the 2016 schedule yet but I assume that this will be as past in June. Can I drum up any interest here?

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Anything for non race like Mason Dixon had. I am not sure Thompson can top that?
Robert

dynoray

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I really hope we can get back there again,need to keep Fred s memory alive and no better place to do it is there! im sure we can have a show car area again and maybe improve on a few things too. not trying to compare to or take away from Mason Dixon, i would hope that theres plenty of time to go to more than 1 event ,especially for next year.

Mark Steele

Well Known Member
Good development. Ray, sure I'm interested. I know the owner wants us back. I told him a lot of the guys pull from a long way. I told Ken it is up to him as the promoter to make it an event worth while for the racers. For me it's the closest track. I think June this year would be too much for many, even though I would treat it as a test for a lot of things I did to the car in preparation for Bowling Green. Also, The event Al Loy put on at Mason Dixon may also conflict. I'm looking forward to future discussions.
Mark

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I'm always looking for a reason to trek to the Cleveland area, as Mom still lives there in the house I was (allegedly) raised in :) :) :).

Would have to be in a time frame other than BG and the other main events for this coming summer.

Cheers!
TomK

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I don't race, just show and I would not want to deter anyone but when it comes to Thompson, you guys must have a short memory.
You show me 70 cars and I can negotiate with the track. As far as payouts, maybe. If your in this for the money, your in the wrong business. Nothing against the show cars but this is a drag strip. I always had a wonderful time at Thompson and never had a bitch. Like I said, you give me something to work with and I'll try to make a deal. If I start getting to much flack I'll end this right now. If anyone doesn't want to come don't try and ruin it for anyone else. I will ask for a dedicated area for show cars. I started the Fred Totten shootouts for a fun weekend test and tune early in the season. We don't have enough 409/348 cars for a stand alone meet. Maybe someday.

Last edited:

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ray, you can count me in for anything at Thompson, but they weren't too accommodating for the non-racers....
Rick

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Clay City Kentucky was where it all started. I believe Fred was the one that put that race together. They were very receptive of us and our cars. they had a VERY NICE trophy made for the race winner, and even had a nice purse for the winner and runner up. I had heard rumors that Fred had put the money up but I don't know that for sure. We had some bad weather the first day but we still got our race in. Nice track and nice folks. I would go back.!!! BT

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Clay City Kentucky was where it all started. I believe Fred was the one that put that race together. They were very receptive of us and our cars. they had a VERY NICE trophy made for the race winner, and even had a nice purse for the winner and runner up. I had heard rumors that Fred had put the money up but I don't know that for sure. We had some bad weather the first day but we still got our race in. Nice track and nice folks. I would go back.!!! BT
Yes, Fred did put up some of the money. That race was called the 409 shootout. After Fred's death I have been trying to keep it going. Getting a car count big enough to negotiate with the track is the biggest problem I have encountered. I don't want the shootouts to end. I'll keep trying to get the Fred Totten shootout back up. If you remember Barry, the track owner loved us but the locals didn't share that love. If you remember Barry Fred was really sick by then. He had to haul the oxygen bottle in the car with him when he made a pass. Still could bang the shifts and pulled impressive lights. Barry, do you have the original decal of the Kentucky meet?I have it on the back glass of the 60.

Last edited:

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ray, You are right on most counts. Not that anybody cares but BARRY is not going back to Thompson.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Sounds like a good time wherever you get it together.
Not sure how much help I could be but don't be shy to ask.