Eastwood Tig 200 AC/DC welder

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just bought a tig welder from Eastwood for aluminum welding. I've been looking at purchasing one for the past couple years but something always came up that was a more important purchase. I finally had the funds saved. I read a lot of reviews on this welder, mostly good but some bad. I also looked at a Miller and Lincoln which both were about double the price of Eastwood's and I couldn't justify the additional money, specially since I've never used a tig welder before.

Well after two full days of use, I can say that the welder works great as far as I can tell and I've laid down a few nice practice beads and welded up a few projects. This does a much better job than my mig spool gun, there's really no comparison. The spool gun is much faster but less controllable and messier.

Once I am practiced enough that I don't keep dipping the tungsten in the weld pool, it will be even better.

If anyone is interested in purchasing this welder or any other items from Eastwood, Check the latest issue of HOT Rod magazine for an Eastwood ad. There is a source code in the ad ( current code is HR416) that gives the best price on advertised items and free shipping. I was given this information by an Eastwood sales rep.

I would definitely recommend this welder.

bobs409

Administrator
I often thought about a tig welder but never used one. What is the learning curve on using one?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The learning curve was/is not too bad. It's a lot like gas welding but with an arc. I was laying nice beads after about ten minutes, but you need to be able to see what your doing to keep the tip of the tungsten just above the weld pool. I wear glasses with bi-focals so its makes it difficult to see exactly what I am doing all of the time. I ended up taking off my glasses and getting pretty close to the weld and I could see ok. I am looking into a magnifier for my welding helmet, should make things much easier.

It gets a little frustrating at first because once you hit the weld puddle with the tungsten electrode, you have to stop and break off the contaminated end and resharpen the electrode.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The hardest part for me was from being a gas torch welder was when you need to back the heat off you have to lift the peddle not pull the torch back.