Update on BA 409

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Tom did you check to see what you had in headers for this new heart for the BA 409.
Or if any of you guys have something just hanging on the wall that you would like to see go down the track again. I will try my best to make them proud again.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I think the other set I have are Tri-Y's that are 1 and 3/4 inchers. I'll look a little closer when I move all that stuff out to the new Manshed in the coming weeks (months?). One never knows what one might find :).

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Going to be shopping for a cam for the new used engine.
10.25 to 1 the heads Dan ported with some 4.88 gears 28 x 9 rear tires.
Trans will be a turbo 350 or 400 or 4 speed. Have two of the options now.
Intake is up in the air also....I have what I have run and the option of the M/T cross ram.
Open for any suggestions.

I do know that this may not be the best combo but its the best I could pull out of Toms pantry.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
This year we hope to play a bit of "Engine Roulette", or “409 Musical Chairs” if you will :).

This could be an interesting 2017 for James and myself.

We have several 409 engine builds in various stages and parts from one build are destined for another.

The objective is to create three separate builds over the coming months. First is a stroker engine for the BA409 car. The second is a stock looking 409/409 replacement for the 1962 Impala SS. The third is a viable engine for the 1962 Impala convertible that is currently in metal bumping purgatory. There is a fourth engine, the one that is currently in the BA409 car.

It’s a bit confusing, but here is the plan:

1. Remove the running and driving stroker engine from the SS car and tear it down for a rebuild. This build is now about 8 years old, has some 12,000 miles on her. She is based on a 1964 truck block currently at .100” over with Ross pistons on BBC rods connected to a 427 crank. The top end comes off (to be used on another build – see #3) and in their place goes a pair of ported 583s (thanks Dan!) and some intake to be determined (we have a M/T crossram and several 881s for modification). Cam will be a roller. This engine rebuild is destined for the BA409 drag car.

2. This second build started with a complete date coded QB “068” block with matching 690 heads and correct carbs/intake that came out of a late 60s speedboat (remember this one, Cecil?). The bottom end is built (thanks Tony!) based on a stock 409 crank, KB-Icon pistons on BBC rods. Still need to populate the heads and select a new cam and then assemble. Have dual quad intake and correct carbs. This build is set to go back in the 1962 SS car.

3. This third build will be based on a 422 truck block rebuilt with KB-Icon pistons on a stock stroke crank and rods. Plans are to reuse the top end from Build #1 (solid lifter cam, 583 heads, 881 intake, Edelbrock carbs). This one is destined to go into the 1962 convertible project.

4. The BA 409 engine, currently removed from the car, goes into limbo for some future development. I think James has plans for those parts.

We have most if not all of the components already in place. All we need now are resources (time and money) to finish off each of the builds. The priority will be for #1 and #2, the builds for the BA409 and for the Impala SS. Note that all cylinder heads are to be GM iron (not aluminum aftermarkets). I might have to let loose of some parts from the basement to make this happen. I was all set and then got sidetracked with paying local county real estate taxes that I would have rather used to buy a Z-11 engine or two from Kissimmee :(.

Cheers!

TomK

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
This year we hope to play a bit of "Engine Roulette", or “409 Musical Chairs” if you will :).

This could be an interesting 2017 for James and myself.

We have several 409 engine builds in various stages and parts from one build are destined for another.

The objective is to create three separate builds over the coming months. First is a stroker engine for the BA409 car. The second is a stock looking 409/409 replacement for the 1962 Impala SS. The third is a viable engine for the 1962 Impala convertible that is currently in metal bumping purgatory. There is a fourth engine, the one that is currently in the BA409 car.

It’s a bit confusing, but here is the plan:

1. Remove the running and driving stroker engine from the SS car and tear it down for a rebuild. This build is now about 8 years old, has some 12,000 miles on her. She is based on a 1964 truck block currently at .100” over with Ross pistons on BBC rods connected to a 427 crank. The top end comes off (to be used on another build – see #3) and in their place goes a pair of ported 583s (thanks Dan!) and some intake to be determined (we have a M/T crossram and several 881s for modification). Cam will be a roller. This engine rebuild is destined for the BA409 drag car.

2. This second build started with a complete date coded QB “068” block with matching 690 heads and correct carbs/intake that came out of a late 60s speedboat (remember this one, Cecil?). The bottom end is built (thanks Tony!) based on a stock 409 crank, KB-Icon pistons on BBC rods. Still need to populate the heads and select a new cam and then assemble. Have dual quad intake and correct carbs. This build is set to go back in the 1962 SS car.

3. This third build will be based on a 422 truck block rebuilt with KB-Icon pistons on a stock stroke crank and rods. Plans are to reuse the top end from Build #1 (solid lifter cam, 583 heads, 881 intake, Edelbrock carbs). This one is destined to go into the 1962 convertible project.

4. The BA 409 engine, currently removed from the car, goes into limbo for some future development. I think James has plans for those parts.

We have most if not all of the components already in place. All we need now are resources (time and money) to finish off each of the builds. The priority will be for #1 and #2, the builds for the BA409 and for the Impala SS. Note that all cylinder heads are to be GM iron (not aluminum aftermarkets). I might have to let loose of some parts from the basement to make this happen. I was all set and then got sidetracked with paying local county real estate taxes that I would have rather used to buy a Z-11 engine or two from Kissimmee :(.

Cheers!

TomK
Sell about half those rental's and get some cash flow for those engine's!!!!!!!:):):)

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Brian you and I need a rematch.
And just for the record Dan had his hands on the heads so....You guys just lay and wait.