Valve cover gaskets

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I would not.
I use contact cement to glue gaskets to valve cover. If you do it correct the gasket will be stuck on cover very tight.This prevents gasket from squishing out. Then you very can use a skim coat of silicone to gasket that meets the head.I always do it like this . It's like gluing formic a to a counter top ,that strong.You coat the gasket and the valve cover and let them dry and install gasket to cover. You want to lay on carefully because it will stick instantly.you can get the contact cement in a hardware store small bottle.

Last edited:

wristpin

Well Known Member
I'd be very concerned about why those nuts aren't down to at least flush with the top of the stud. There's something very wrong there. I could easily forsee vibration backing off those nuts and rockers coming loose and loose nut destroying parts. I wouldn't fire that engine up until those issues are resolved. I don't want to see your stuff damaged!!

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Those are poly lock adjusters with a set screw down the center that you jam against the top of the stud...so they will set above the rocker and the adjuster nut can't set to far down in the rocker or it will hit the rocker in the slot in the top of the rocker body.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'd be very concerned about why those nuts aren't down to at least flush with the top of the stud. There's something very wrong there. I could easily forsee vibration backing off those nuts and rockers coming loose and loose nut destroying parts. I wouldn't fire that engine up until those issues are resolved. I don't want to see your stuff damaged!!

Thanks for your concern. I do appreciate it. I'm not sure how far down on the rocker stud the nuts should be. It was previously mentioned that the length of the push rod will determine how high or low the nut will sit. At least I think that is my understanding. The pushrods are not stock. I measured for them and the machinist found some the length I needed. They were ordered. I don't think they are much different then the stock ones. Really not sure but they aren't the same identical size. The valves were adjusted cold per the repair manual. If the nuts had been turned a few more times, this might not have been an issue. But then, the valves wouldn't have been adjusted correctly. I really don't know what else to say about it. I don't want the engine damaged either. Each rocker has those locking screws that we tightened up well. Not sure how they could vibrate loose, but if it was to happen to anyone, it would be me. The machinist has never seen the rockers on the engine. Maybe I should have him make a house call before I button it up. The motor did run well for a collective 15 minutes. Sounded good. I know that is a very short time. Only had it up to 1500 rpm's. More things to think about, Carmine.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I have read your thread Carmine, and i too use the scorpion rockers with "poly locks". The one thing i noticed on looking at your rockers...the adjusting nuts appear to be many more threads showing on every other valve, seeming to indicate that the intake and exhaust pushrods are to close to the same length?? Just an observation, Dean

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I have read your thread Carmine, and i too use the scorpion rockers with "poly locks". The one thing i noticed on looking at your rockers...the adjusting nuts appear to be many more threads showing on every other valve, seeming to indicate that the intake and exhaust pushrods are to close to the same length?? Just an observation, Dean
So do your adjuster nut's stick up that high Dean ??? How do your thread's compare to Carmine's???

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10

I don't know the length of the pushrods. I know they are different lengths, but by how much, I don't know. I did the measuring and brought bought pushrod measuring devices to the machine shop. The machinist determined the length and did the ordering.

I know I posted some pics of the rockers, but I'm going to take another look. Mine certainly aren't even. To tighten them down like Deans, to within 3 threads from the top, this motor would never run; I don't think. There appears to be a considerable difference in the rockers re. fit on our motors. Not sure if you are using a pushrod guide plate, but I am. But the "bosses" where the rocker stud gets screwed into, have been cut the thickness of the guide plate to compensate for it. So nothing was really loss or gained. The plate didn't move anything higher.

This issue really has me concerned. It's much more then leaking valve covers. A seed has been planted. As mentioned in another thread, I'm the only one this has ever happened to. No surprises there, but maybe it's time to have the machinist make a house call. I don't have the gaskets yet so now would be the time to have this looked at. I think I'll also count the exposed threads as best possible on an exhaust and intake rocker and give Scorpion tech a call and get their input, Carmine.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Question, still learning myself, but why run guide plates on iron heads? I only have run them on my aluminum eddys

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi everyone. The new cork gaskets on my valve covers aren't going to work. Still leaks. The ones I took off before tearing the motor down, were a rubber compound. Could have been a rubber/cork compound. Not sure. But, they didn't leak. I can't seem to find just a rubber gasket if in fact they even make one. I see that Mahle makes a cork/rubber gasket part #VS38408. This is as close as I can come. What is everyone using for their valve covers?? Has anyone tried the above gasket?? I have to stop these leaks before I move the car, so I have to address it real soon. Thank you, Carmine.

Carmine you can open the link below and enter your car info and find Fel-Pro VS 13199 R black rubber 409 valve cover gaskets. 253.jpg 253.jpg 253.jpg

http://www.fme-cat.com/application.aspx

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It depends on the level of your build,and to some degree personal preference ,Dean.On a mild engine such as this with a hyd,flat tappet cam,they ,while overkill,won't hurt anyting.If you're going to have enough spring pressure,and a fast acting solid,or roller cam enough to support over 7,000 rpm,they would be mandentory to stabilize the pushrod because under those conditions things can get rather violent.Some folks swear by them,some swear at them.

Last edited:

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Be advised. Fel Pro stopped making the v13199r rubber valve cover gaskets about 2 years ago. They are really hard to find now. I'm actually trying to find some myself right now. All local parts suppliers can only get the cork version

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Be advised. Fel Pro stopped making the v13199r rubber valve cover gaskets about 2 years ago. They are really hard to find now. I'm actually trying to find some myself right now. All local parts suppliers can only get the cork version

Just read it the new replacement number is VS 13199 C (cork) :-(

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I put rubber gasket's on a 283 once ,did not last any longer than cork, not impressed. I don't have any sealing problem's on cover's the way I do it as I posted earlier.