Barrett Jackson 1962 SS Z-11 w/aluminum front end

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I got so tired of all the crap on the TV, I turned on the computer and began streaming and got to see all the cars I wanted to see with out all the BS and adds.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
remember this is tv. you see a glossy paint job and a claim the vehicle is orig. all of you would be under the frame and checking for body
filler. you can not see spider cracks on a vette on tv. even so called top flight vettes are questionable. when did they rec the top flight.
1985? jmho jim

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Having close to 500 hours in panel replacement (rear quarters, floors and random rust spots) and several conversations with my body guy, I know he's convinced most cars which are sold at auction have significantly more bondo and filler than advertised. Even ones which have had good/great body work, there is no guarantee the inner bracing was fixed or replaced. He has shown me a few cars which were brought to him which were supposed to be restored. What he's seen is, even with good panel repair/replacement, the inner bracing was cut and removed which resulted in wrinkling/stretching on the exterior.
As much fun as it might be to attend a Barrett Jackson or other high profile event in person, he's pretty much convinced me nothing replaces taking time which these events don't likely give you.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
The local classic car dealer here in town buy' s car's From BJ auction's? He won powerball lottery a few year's ago so his inventory change's frequently.His shop is open to looker's as I have seen some problem 's with some of these car's .One was a 63 Impala 409 4 speed 2 dr ht. The right side door window did not fit opening at top as it had a 1/2 inch gap at rear and hitting in front. I have visited with a 2 local mechanic's i that are independent shop owner's and they said those car's have a lot of problem' with different issue's . Wiring cobbled up with a lot of thing 's not working was some of the issue's.One had to remove motor and go through it.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The resto mods went for huge money, original cars I thought got shortchanged. Lots of AH's there buying though. The hype is endless and their "expert" talk is so often wrong.

It is a bit magnetic though, never know what you will see, just leave the volume down.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Just a little bit of useless trivia.

Today I visited with a friend of mine that worked for Dick Harrell. He worked extensively on the black 62 SS with the aluminum front end. He lived around the corner about 2 blocks away from Dick. He said Dick had a couple of cars from the Chevy dealer, one was a demo as well as the black 62 and some other stuff. Interesting he said the SS car came to Dick with the aluminum front end on it??? He did not know if the dealer installed the front end or how it got on there. All he knew was that Dick would always blame him for the dents in the fenders, he said yep, he probably did it taking heads off and on.

Anyway, I asked him about it not having a heater or radio even though it was an SS. He said no matter what, even if it came with them he took them out for sure. He said he lightened everything he could on every car.

He remembers Dick telling him to go home one afternoon to get some sleep and to be back at the shop at 10pm. When he arrived the car was disassembled, engine in pieces, transmission, clutch, etc. He and Dck worked all night to get it finished and headed off to a race. He shared one time he worked 3 days straight, sleeping in the shop just to finish a car. To this day he speaks very well of Dick and all his times building engines, suspensions, cars, etc.
Great times.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Great story, Pat.

Didn't the Zintsmaster 62 come with aluminum already installed?

BTW.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Speaking of.......I'll be having my 65th this year......hint hint....anything 61 or maybe 63 would be nice.....I already have a 62......

Just kidding!!!!!

Tom

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Yes, the Zintsmaster did come with the aluminum front end, no one know for sure how Dicks car was made, that's all.
It certainly could have been one of the 18 or 21 built.

Thanks for the birthday thought, as to the 61 or 63, you prefer Mattel or AMF?

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
That helps explain more of what my friend said. The car was delivered to Dick from the Chevy dealer with the front end on and they also had extra fenders as if they had been shipped to Dick. Makes sense also because the St Louis plant provided the New Mexico dealers with most of their cars.
Thanks.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Yes, the Zintsmaster did come with the aluminum front end, no one know for sure how Dicks car was made, that's all.
It certainly could have been one of the 18 or 21 built.

Thanks for the birthday thought, as to the 61 or 63, you prefer Mattel or AMF?

I'd prefer OEM but I don't think they make them anymore. Well, there is a dealership in McKinney that does I think. ;)

How's that 63 coming along?

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Actually coming slow. Got some stuff cooking right now.
Also picked up a 63 Impala 409 car to use for the Mystery Motor project. Need to rebuild the MM engine soon.
The Z-11 engine is finished, still need to finish the body. Aluminum is pretty close, was in really good shape.
I will post some photos later.