Disc brakes for my 62 409

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Nothing stops rust, only slows it down. No, I do not offer powder coated calipers. When I did years ago people were too cheap to pay for it. I do offer cross drilled rotors but not for the 14" original wheel kit, why would anyone want cross drill behind original steel wheels where you can't see them. Crossdrill is only for looks

My question was for my cars that have (except for one) 1960's open spoked wheels (1960's Radar and ET wheels). I have one 62 with Billet Specially wheels with drilled zinc plated discs and power coated calipers ( 9 years and no rust ) See my first picture

The 2nd and 3rd picture are off my original 1960's Radar 14" open spoke wheels on my 62 Chevy Impala SS convertible (that will probably go on my 57 Chevy Hardtop)
The 4rd picture is off my old disc brakes visable through my 15" ET wheels currently on my 57 Chevy Hardtop.
The last (5th) picture is off my 57 from 1965 and the Radar wheels on the car (from the 1960's) I want to go back too these Radar wheels

I was asking about changing my 57 Chevy Hardtop that has disc brakes from I think a 1970 Chevy (installed in the 1980's by my uncle) with 15 inch ET open wheels (see picture) to one of your kits but with power coated calipers and zinc plated cross drilled discs -see the pictures of the car - I like the looks of the discs with the plating and power coated calipers and cross drilled rotors and non rusty parts.

Finally would, "if you know" would my 1970 Chevy full size disc brakes on my 57 be offset like one of your kits or did they not have a offset

DSCN4384.JPGIMG_0007-003.JPGIMG_0009-003.JPGIMG_0043-001.JPG PVS053_tn.jpg ?

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a really nice kit from Mike for my 62 409 to suit 15" rims.
This included master cyl & booster with all the correct linkage.

Gav

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My question was for my cars that have (except for one) 1960's open spoked wheels (1960's Radar and ET wheels). I have one 62 with Billet Specially wheels with drilled zinc plated discs and power coated calipers ( 9 years and no rust ) See my first picture

The 2nd and 3rd picture are off my original 1960's Radar 14" open spoke wheels on my 62 Chevy Impala SS convertible (that will probably go on my 57 Chevy Hardtop)
The 4rd picture is off my old disc brakes visable through my 15" ET wheels currently on my 57 Chevy Hardtop.
The last (5th) picture is off my 57 from 1965 and the Radar wheels on the car (from the 1960's) I want to go back too these Radar wheels

I was asking about changing my 57 Chevy Hardtop that has disc brakes from I think a 1970 Chevy (installed in the 1980's by my uncle) with 15 inch ET open wheels (see picture) to one of your kits but with power coated calipers and zinc plated cross drilled discs -see the pictures of the car - I like the looks of the discs with the plating and power coated calipers and cross drilled rotors and non rusty parts.

Finally would, "if you know" would my 1970 Chevy full size disc brakes on my 57 be offset like one of your kits or did they not have a offset

View attachment 58263View attachment 58264View attachment 58265View attachment 58266View attachment 58267 ?

Your first pic with the red calipers is the small metric caliper with Chevelle rotors, moves out 3/4" per side. X frame cars are large and 3/4" with reasonably sized front tires is OK, which is why I mentioned that kit which is cheaper is a possibility on these cars, I just don't use metric calipers only large GM calipers.
Your last picture with the ET wheels, I can't see enough of the brakes to tell for sure what's there. I can tell if you remove wheel.

Yes the plating/coatings work if you don't drive it everyday. Platings/powder coating does not stop rust if it's exposed constantly but works well for our "babied" show type cars.
I do not offer powder coating or plating on rotors any longer, stopped years ago. It's easy enough for the end user to take apart the calipers and take to powder coater. The rotors just get zinc plating at any plater.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Thanks Mike,
I will get the rims off my 57 Hardtop and post pictures. I can test my 15 inch Radar wheels for fit on my old disc brakes(I have a set of 14"and a set of 15" Radar wheels)
I have to start on it anyway to pull the current 283 in the car and replace it with my rebuilt original 283/270 HP 2-4 motor.
I now have a new dual master cylinder without a booster on the 57. The 57 was driven for 25 years with the original single master cylinder with the the front discs(off a 80's Chevy parts car "if I remember right") that my Uncle installed in the late 1970s or early 1980's

My cars are not driven daily or ever in the winter and seldom in the rain.

I have a powder coater who does all my frames and black parts and can do any color, plus I have and a zinc chromate plater who plates parts for my restorations.

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Mike:
here are the disc brakes on my 57 that my uncle installed 25 years ago. I recall they are from a 70 Chevy but not sure.
What do I have ?
1st picture passenger side and picture back side of drivers side.IMG_0042-002.JPGIMG_0049-002.JPG

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yea, 69-70 Impala. Kind of a bastard kit, rotors are obsolete. Good brakes actually but rotors may only be available from aftermarket at a very high cost. I think there is a way to use a stock drum hub and a Corvette rotor, check with the old timers on Chevytalk for that.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
If I were to replace them which of your kits work ? I have 15 by 7 wheels
I have looked at them on your e-bay items. I am interested in cross drilled rotors.
Paul

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I originally thought these were on an Impala. 1957 Chevy that's a little puzzling to me because the spindles don't interchange to a trifive without major mods to ball joints. I'm some what uncertain now. Measure the rotor thickness, it should be greater then 1" for 69/70 Impala stuff.
Those do move the wheels outward on the 57, see how far out the mounting surface is from the face of the caliper.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Thanks Mike,
I will get the rims off my 57 Hardtop and post pictures. I can test my 15 inch Radar wheels for fit on my old disc brakes(I have a set of 14"and a set of 15" Radar wheels)
I have to start on it anyway to pull the current 283 in the car and replace it with my rebuilt original 283/270 HP 2-4 motor.
I now have a new dual master cylinder without a booster on the 57. The 57 was driven for 25 years with the original single master cylinder with the the front discs(off a 80's Chevy parts car "if I remember right") that my Uncle installed in the late 1970s or early 1980's

My cars are not driven daily or ever in the winter and seldom in the rain.

I have a powder coater who does all my frames and black parts and can do any color, plus I have and a zinc chromate plater who plates parts for my restorations.

Paul
My front disc brake setup I bought from Carmine of Master Power Brakes n North Carolina. The kit I bought uses the stock tri-five spindles & 68 to 72 Chevelle Rotors / Calipers / Pads / Bearings You just to drill a new cotter pin hole because the Chevelle
rotor in Narrower
:D:love
:crazy:cheers07-25-2010 03_24_49pm_00 (326x190) (2).jpgPictureKodak easy share photos 795.jpg

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My front disc brake setup I bought from Carmine of Master Power Brakes n North Carolina. The kit I bought uses the stock tri-five spindles & 68 to 72 Chevelle Rotors / Calipers / Pads / Bearings You just to drill a new cotter pin hole because the Chevelle
rotor in Narroeer
:D:love
:crazy:cheersView attachment 60872

No drilling, we supply correct castle nuts to fit correctly. That's the infamous "Chevelle rotor kit" moves wheels outward 3/4"

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Mike I bought this kit a million years ago from Carmine when he had his shop in Lindenhurst N.Y. It works FINE for me and it saved me a lot of hassle & B/S. I don't think you were around when I bought this kit I
may be looking for a kit for my son's 61 Bubble top I will give you a try when I'm ready.
:crazy:cheers

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mike I bought this kit a million years ago from Carmine when he had his shop in Lindenhurst N.Y. It works FINE for me and it saved me a lot of hassle & B/S. I don't think you were around when I bought this kit I
may be looking for a kit for my son's 61 Bubble top I will give you a try when I'm ready.

I realize that, wasn't trying to "knock it" I think it's a good kit just mentioning that for the last 15 years or so we(most suppliers) supply correct castle nuts. They probably hadn't come up with the castle nut solution yet.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not sure how your uncle got them to work on the 57, ball joints different, steering arm has to be in the totally wrong place and wrong taper. The 69/70 spindles are the same as the 59/64 spindle except the steering arm bolt holes are 1/2" instead of 7/16". But way off from 1957, 1 inch taller, ball joints different, steering arm way different.:scratch Even trying to get them on an Impala is a problem since 69/70 are rear steer not front steer like 59/64s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just put Mikes set up on my ‘61.... It was a cake walk to install...:deal
Rick

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
MIke,
thank you for the info on what my uncle installed. I can't ask him he died about 15 + years ago.
He ran an alignment shop for years in my old home town in South Dakota.

Which of your kits could I switch to ? I have a 3-4 of your kits saved on my e-bay list including the zero offset one you noted.
My car is factory height other than 15 inch tires P225 series -no rubbing.
From what you see it looks like he used the spindles on the 69-70 discs.

I still have my original front drum brakes with the spindles and tie rod connectors -I never threw them away.
This would confirm what you said about making them fit from on my 57.

I have a brand new set of tie all my tie rod ends that I have not installed.
What phone number can I reach you at if that's ok ? send me a private message if needed.

I really appreciate your help on my 57 disc brakes.
here he is my uncle installing them I think in late 1970's sometime
Paul
 PVS070.jpg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have some brand new Hurst Dazzler 15 by 7 wheels with 3 5/8 backspace.
The new Dazzler wheels 15 by 7 wheels, fit the current disc brakes with about 1/4 inch clearance to the outside surface of the current capliers.

The current wheels in my pictures of 57 are 15 by 7 ET's that fit the current discs with close to 4 inches of backspace.