Wilson Header Mfg.

View attachment 56752
a look at the pass side
View attachment 56753
View attachment 56754
Plenty of room around the starter and think it could be changed without header removal.
View attachment 56755
Driver side up against the rear of the inner fender well.
Now this car is rusty and am sure the body mounts are old and tired.
The engine sounds completely different now with these over the try y that were on the car.
Can't wait to try them out.
What starter are you using?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
This is one of the small gear-reduction starters like on a late model[92-later]pick up.Possibly D-B starter?

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
does anyone know which late model gear reduction starters fir a 348...powermaster makes them for other motors but was wondering if one is available for the w block...

Mark Wilson

Well Known Member
A quick note to all those looking at using gear reduction starters. These headers are built to specifically clear a factory full size starter. Some of the gear reduction starters actually are offset further outboard than the original so check before you buy. Some are also indexable for improved clearance

I just recently had a 69 RaodRunner 440 in the shop for headers and we had to replace the aftermarket starter with an original that I had rebuilt to make clearance for the headers.

Mark

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
59k9,the one I listed above will work fine and is a lot cheaper.Any late model for a 168 tooth flywheel.

Thanks all. I'm just finishing up putting Mark's headers in and when it came to the starter I had to have help putting the starter and header in together since you can't do them individual. That's why I asked on the smaller starter. I would like to be able to change it without unbolting the header and exhaust. My next question would be my oem starter has 3 terminals this new one has 2 , what wiring changes need to be made?

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
When I just pulled the engine out I tried to remove the starter with the header on but it just didn't fit so I had to loosen the header up first.
That being said.....to install the header you can start the bolts in the head flange and then install the starter then tighten up your header bolts.

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I believe you can leave the green wire loose. Just tape it up. All you’ll need is the wire that’s hot I. The start position.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Scott I see a yellow wire. :crazy
They do make thee starters with the other 12 volt bypass terminal on the solenoid.

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
James I believe mine are purple and green. Think the purple is the start wire. Would have to double check if I get the car out of the trailer next month.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
There's a simpler way to determine which wire is not used[taped off] on these cars.The resister wire is the one with the smaller terminal.The solonoid wire terminal wire is noticably larger where it's attached to the starter.