Recent Nor'easter

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Here in the northeast, some of us got hit with a terrific snow storm yesterday. We got about 12-14 inches of snow. A very heavy snow. Not too far away, they got 26 inches. Power lines and trees down all over the place. Just read about 1 million people are without power still. WOW. That is a lot. We never loss power. Kind of a moot point for us. We very seldom get hurricanes in my area, but got a good one a few years ago. Hurricane Irene. Power went out. Sump pump inoperative and the basement filled with 22 inches of water. Saw items that had been in another room, go floating by. You talk about a dose of reality. Swore I'd never live through that again. Bought a free standing Generac Generator and installed it myself with some help. We have a 2 story home and everything we need for daily living is on the first floor, so I power everything there, in addition to the well pump, furnace and the 2 sump pumps. About 1 year later we had another storm. No hurricane. This one was called a tropical storm and had high winds and dumped a lot of rain. Power went out for everyone around us. Power was out for 5 days. This generator ran flawlessly during that time. It allowed us to stay and live in our home. Power was eventually restored and my propane tank was refilled. I figured out the cost which came to $3.06 an hour to run it. I would have spent more then that for a motel room and meals out for 5 days. Not to mention the inconvenience. A small price to pay. Want to talk about paranoia. I even have a back up generator in the garage for the Generac. This one would power my 2 sump pumps if something happened. And I have a 3" pump. The generator and pump have never seen a drop of gas. Probably not too smart to leave them like that. Any members affected by this last snow storm?? I know Bob and a few more live in PA, not to far from me. Was wondering how everyone made out. Do others also have a standby generator? Thanks, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
Put the plow on the Jeep because the weathermen were predicting a big storm. We got about 3 inches which mostly melted! :angry So today I took the plow back off never having to use it.

Why is is that when I put the plow on ahead of time, we don't get anything? If I don't put it on, I end up having to horse around with it in 8 inches of snow & ice and ask myself why I didn't put it on ahead of time? :gaah :bang

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Another storm coming Monday. All this snow won't melt until June. UGH, Carmine.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
14" last Friday and another 9" Wednesday. We never lost power, but I do have a generator just incase. I've only used it two or three times when the power did go out. A lot of areas around me did lose power for several days. There may still be some without. Where the heck is spring???:furious At least when we get snow this time of the year it melts quicker. More snow this morning.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
14" last Friday and another 9" Wednesday. We never lost power, but I do have a generator just incase. I've only used it two or three times when the power did go out. A lot of areas around me did lose power for several days. There may still be some without. Where the heck is spring???:furious At least when we get snow this time of the year it melts quicker. More snow this morning.
What size generator, whole house, if not how is it hooked up? I have a smaller one but am thinking larger with gas logs fire place for heat to stay away from 22 kw +\- needed for whole house because of trying to start heat pumps
Robert

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We are still missing all the snow storms here, have seen some a half hour from my house, but we keep getting rain or snow that changes to rain and melts the snow. Had the snowblower going twice this year. A buddy who plows driveways all winter says he hasn't knocked all the paint off his blade edge yet this year. Its a weird winter.
Bob, keep putting the plow on when a storm is approaching, its cheap insurance.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
What size generator, whole house, if not how is it hooked up? I have a smaller one but am thinking larger with gas logs fire place for heat to stay away from 22 kw +\- needed for whole house because of trying to start heat pumps
Robert
Robert,

I only have a small 6000 watt generator. It runs the oil furnace, well pump, refrigerator and freezer. Just the bare essentials. The following is definitely not a recommended hook up and you never heard this from me! But if the power goes out and it will be a while before power it is restored, This part is extremely important- I shut my main breaker off and back feed power through my welder outlet in the garage.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Robert
Robert, if you have an electric dryer, range or even a welder in your garage, 220 volt. Make up a cord from heavy strand copper wire and place matching plug ends for 220 outlets. Be sure and disconnect electrical connection from the street when using generator.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Robert, if you have an electric dryer, range or even a welder in your garage, 220 volt. Make up a cord from heavy strand copper wire and place matching plug ends for 220 outlets. Be sure and disconnect electrical connection from the street when using generator.

Thanks Ray but I have another controlling factor here and since you have been here you know what it is. The generator system needs to be Ann proof! You know she wants to just push a button and have electric back on!
Robert
Oh yes, I have a 220 outlet easy to get to for me but....

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Thanks Ray but I have another controlling factor here and since you have been here you know what it is. The generator system needs to be Ann proof! You know she wants to just push a button and have electric back on!
Robert
Oh yes, I have a 220 outlet easy to get to for me but....
Yeah, I understand. Problem with the whole house auto system is justifying the cost. You just don't use it enough.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
About 80 deg. today and to be 90 deg. Saturday and high of 60 deg (front coming in) Sunday. Things are beginning to bloom here, mowed the yard yesterday.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
:cryLast week, we got about 7 or 8 ". Snow Machine, took care of it.:appl This last storm, was 12 or 13":rolleyes Put my heavy coat on, over my Parka, and started blowing this Heavy crap away. :clap Made one pass, down the driveway, and turned around, and started back up, and snow, wasn't blowing out of the chute.:doh Oh Crap. I must have broke a shear pin.:confused Made it back to the house, where it was brighter, but couldn't see anything, because the snow was really packed in there.:bang Put the machine away, and started shoveling.:eek1 After about two hours, I was finished. So was my back. :drop Went out there today, and did some detective work, and found a leather knive sheve, and a chunk of wood, jammed along side of one of the Impellers.:( Got the leather out, but the piece of wood, is still jammed in there. Hope I get this fixed before our next storm.:dunno