409 into a 59 Apache

Clanier

I am going to be swapping the tired 235 CI six for a 409. Any idea if there are any stock engine mounts that will work for this swap?

Also looking for manual transmission options that will bolt up.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'll be doing the same thing (409 > 55 Chevy 3100) over the next few months so lets keep in touch. I just purchased the engine so will going through a rebuild process before installing in truck.

Cheers,
Paul_F

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
As far as the transmissions,the stock 3 speed will almost bolt right up.The SM420 4 speed will bolt up to a small block bell housing [why :rub]? As to something more "sporty",most any of the Muncie,BW ,and others can be adapted to the truck.What's it's intended use?

I've got a 283 in there right now with a standard (not Granny) 4 speed which I'll reuse unless I win the lottery and get a Tremec 6 speed to put in. The use is just Sunday drives and something a bit out of the ordinary for car shows - how about you?

RCampbell

Well Known Member
I'm trying to avoid buying new projects... but..I have an opportunity to buy a 61 short stepside...4 wheel drive. Truck is a 6 cyl standard shift...don't remember if it is a 3 spd or 4 spd. I would have to put a 409 it. Question...will a V8 bell housing bolt up?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm trying to avoid buying new projects... but..I have an opportunity to buy a 61 short stepside...4 wheel drive. Truck is a 6 cyl standard shift...don't remember if it is a 3 spd or 4 spd. I would have to put a 409 it. Question...will a V8 bell housing bolt up?
With a cutting torch and a pair of sissors.....it will fit anything you want!!!

RCampbell

Well Known Member
The motor would set down on V8 motor perches. Will a 2 1/2" exhaust clear? 2"?? What mods are necessary on the oil pan?

I opted for a Tremec 6-speed. It took a special bell housing, but Dederichs in Fort Worth fixed me right up.

All the boring, honing & line boring has been done. I was weighing pistons, pins, and rods this past weekend. Things should start going to gether soon.

heddrik

Well Known Member
I opted for a Tremec 6-speed. It took a special bell housing, but Dederichs in Fort Worth fixed me right up.

All the boring, honing & line boring has been done. I was weighing pistons, pins, and rods this past weekend. Things should start going to gether soon.
I live in Fort Worth, never heard of Dederichs. What do they do? Do you have their phone #? thank you.

I live in Fort Worth, never heard of Dederichs. What do they do? Do you have their phone #? thank you.

(Joe) Dederichs Motorsport
3612 Lynndale Place
FW TX 76133
682/231-3510

Joe's a very pleasant and knowledgeable guy who can set you up with everything you need for getting the ponies to the pavement. He's a Tremec dealer but has all the ancillary items to make things easy on your install. I have no affiliation with Joe other than being a very satified customer.

Paul_F

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm running a 2 core wide nascar type radiator with a spal 2800cfm shroud mounted fan on the 502, it's never breached 185 degrees in florida heat...the fan runs when the thermostat calls for cooling, far better in my opinion than a engine driven fan...it cools great at idle and low speeds...