How do I tell if it is a rea 1961 ss impala

david61

Hello everyone I'm new to the site I'm curious I got a 61 Chevy Impala in my driveway I'm told it's an original SS with a 348 stick I would truly like to find out how I can tell if it is or how I get it documented ....ps Larry from Bob's put me on this site and told me to try to get a hold of oldSkydog or real61ss409...if you guys could pls help I would truly appreciate the help...thank you

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Welcome to the site. Pictures of the cowl tag would help along with whatever options are presently on the car. When you say manual transmission, do you mean 3 or 4 speed?

david61

I will take some pictures now from what I understand the oshit bar holes are supposed to be oval and stamped in on the passenger side if it's a real SS and it is a 4-speed

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi David,

I believe there are a couple of things that some of the gurus on this site know from experience that are giveaways as to true SS or not
These things will most likely not be published on the forum or on the internet as they are sort of the last things left to tell a fake from an original
I agree in keeping some things close to the chest as these cars are rare and there are many out there that would like to and have the money to clone one for their own gain from an unsuspecting buyer in the future

Without the original build sheet and all the paperwork for the car you can only go on what you see on the car and with a bit of help here you can get closer to knowing for sure.

Good luck, i would love to have an original SS but over here there are more badged SS 61 impalas than non SS impalas so i will keep mine the same as it was born.

Steve

david61

Thank you the problem is I might be buying one and I'm trying to find out if it's a true SS I don't want to buy it if it's not I mean it's a bucket right now but if it's a true SS I don't mind putting in the work

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Take heaps of photos,
Post them on here and get feed back
The guys can comment on what photos you will need for them to give you an opinion
Also please remember that without that paperwork from factory all of this is only opinion based on experience
The guys on here are the most knowledgeable around on this subject they just need the photos of what you are looking at
Vin tag, holes for grab bar, etc are all just pieces to the puzzel

Steve

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Holes for grab bar round?, hose clamp for tacho?
Not sure if there was holes in 61 column or not,
Guys on here will know for sure

Steve

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It is an interesting looking car. I've followed VIN's & Cowl Tags for a long time now and I've seen very few "N" x-frame Chevrolets. I'm used to seeing Van Nuys, St. Louis, Janesville, Flint, Baltimore, and Atlanta but very few Norwood cars.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Mark same here very few N cars. Interesting the SCO 2 paint Code also and I have some thoughts on that but have to look in my 61 book first before inserting foot in mouth.
Robert

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have never seen N.... I was thinking it may be B car before I got focus

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Mark same here very few N cars. Interesting the SCO 2 paint Code also and I have some thoughts on that but have to look in my 61 book first before inserting foot in mouth.
Robert
Robert,I believe that is 900 on the paint code for a black car
8000 rpm tach must have been changed or added, should be 7000
Should have padded dash, power steering and power metallic brakes

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It is an interesting looking car. I've followed VIN's & Cowl Tags for a long time now and I've seen very few "N" x-frame Chevrolets. I'm used to seeing Van Nuys, St. Louis, Janesville, Flint, Baltimore, and Atlanta but very few Norwood cars.
I have a 2 door Biscayne Norwood car that is mostly complete. It is a 6 cyl 3 speed car so its probably not much help...:sorry