Oil Pump Drive rod

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
Does anyone have the length the oil pump drive rod should be? I know the BBC is longer and I just want to make sure this is the correct one for a W motor. Trust, but verify is the way I like to do things.

I ordered one from Summit that was listed as specific for 348/409 engines and I just want to make sure it is correct. Also does this shaft require a bushing or sleeve of any kind like newer engines use?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Be careful. Many of the packaged HV oil pumps come with a shaft that is for a SBC. Don't ask how we know...

Also, I ordered what I thought to be the correct pump rod, only to find that once shipped it was the wrong length. They did ship to correct one, it was a packaging error I suspect (number on box was correct, rod was not).

Don't have one at the house right now, but someone will get you the correct dimensions. They are "W" specific.

Good luck!
TomK

heddrik

Well Known Member
Did not know shaft length was different, so many things to learn about these ole truck engines. Thank you gentlemen for my continuing education.

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
The shaft I got measures 6 5/8", but it has the steel sleeve like the one shown on Show cars part number 3211. I am going to guess the extra length is due to the added length of this sleeve.

I believe the steel sleeve replaces the nylon shaft retainer, is this correct?

I also see an oil pick up retainer and oil pump support bracket. Do I need to get these parts as well? My engine core came to me in pieces, so I know I am missing some small parts here and their, but I am wondering if those are stock parts or upgrades.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Does anyone have the length the oil pump drive rod should be? I know the BBC is longer and I just want to make sure this is the correct one for a W motor. Trust, but verify is the way I like to do things.

I ordered one from Summit that was listed as specific for 348/409 engines and I just want to make sure it is correct. Also does this shaft require a bushing or sleeve of any kind like newer engines use?
I keep the correct shft in stock.
If you need one PM me