'61 Biscayne Stroked 348/440c.i. My First Restoration

sycsteve

Well Known Member
On my way to a show today my bronze distributor gear failed with less than 900 miles on it. I was looking at the composite Ultra Polly gear but was told to use a melonized gear. Anyone use one of these polly gears in a street car?

sycsteve

Well Known Member
If it was walking forward I am thinking it would not be as worn so close to the base of the gear :dunno2:dunno2:dunno2
Someone said the dist is not seating enough as the looks of the gear.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
There were several conversations about thrust surface and the block getting eaten up as a result of camwalk...........

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Most of the time those bronze gears are short lived,especially when heavy oil and high volume oil pumps are used.The melonized gears are better and with the exception of Lunati's "everwear" gears are cheaper than most of the other composite gears out there.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Most of the time those bronze gears are short lived,especially when heavy oil and high volume oil pumps are used.The melonized gears are better and with the exception of Lunati's "everwear" gears are cheaper than most of the other composite gears out there.

I ordered one yesterday. Jim Worel has one in his 409 roller engine with no problems at all.
To bad I have pieces of the bronze gear in my engine now.

sycsteve

Well Known Member

What is wrong with the Lunati melonized gear? Thats what i bought. Should i order the msd gear instead?
I was tol to use 20w-50. Is it not nessary to use such a heavy oil?