Need a price check in aisle #4

bobs409

Administrator
Can't seem to find any on ebay so I'll ask here. :write

What would you say is the "core" value of steering boxes (manual & PS), PS control valves and PS control cylinders? Thought I'd find many on ebay but not much of anything. It appears there are repro's of all on ebay. :ebay

I'm thinking maybe $50 for the boxes and $50 for the PS valves. No idea on the cylinders. I saw on a website that the original cylinders are better than repro's so there might be a desire for them?

:read

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
A1 Cardone via Rock Auto, give an outright cost as well as a core changeover cost.

Junky

Well Known Member
Problem with core prices from A1 Cardone or some of the other rebuilders, they price the cores high enough that they are actually making money on them, and hope that you don't return the core. It was the same with brake shoes back in the day. They had loads of cores, and hoped that you didn't return them. If the auto parts store took them back, many times, they were put into the dumpster after the factory rep gave them credit for the cores. Condition of cores is the most important, since if the piston is pitted or bent, it is worthless. Same with the boxes. If the top adjusting screw has been turned in, chances are that the box is trashed inside. Steering boxes that are not properly adjusted, can be ruined in a very short time after they are tampered with. Manual boxes and Power Steering boxes in 1962 look the same, but the gear ratio is different. The Power Steering box is a little faster, but not by much.
I would say that your prices are in the ball park as to value, and then there is the transportation costs involved in getting them from you to the buyer.

62BillT

Well Known Member
Problem with core prices from A1 Cardone or some of the other rebuilders, they price the cores high enough that they are actually making money on them, and hope that you don't return the core.

Yeah, I've even contacted A-1 before on some of their "High Dollar" Core prices to see how much they would be willing to pay for them.

Never heard a thing back.

But yet I've called other places about buying a hard to find part and they complain about not having any Cores to rebuild. ????

Kind of a crazy industry. I would say the popularity of the part is what drives their decisions.

The only times I've sold Cores in general, were to small time independent shops.

Last edited:

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
My 95 Dodge 3500 lost all spark so I call the parts store and ask them how much they want for a control module and he says $93 but I can sell you the whole distributer for $100. I told him I can't even see the distributer in this stupid truck its so far into the firewall they should have just put it in the bed at least I would be able to work on it back there.

Mark

Junky

Well Known Member
One thing to always consider, is that the people that are going to throw out suggested prices, many times are the same people that wouldn't pay what they are saying what a part is worth. It is only worth what a willing buyer is going to pay, and a willing seller is going to accept. I have seen parts on eBay listed at $800, and there are 20+ watchers, and I will list the identical part, for $500 or best offer, and not even get an offer of any kind. That tells me that there are a lot of tire kickers out there with very shallow pockets when it comes to buying, and are vultures when it comes to their selling. I won't disparage a Chevrolet collector group that wouldn't offer you $75 for a new $100 bill... Yes, they are that frugal (CHEAP), and they are proud of being that way. It isn't all of them, but enough of them that the people that offer items for a fair price, and there are no takers, they set fire to the item, or run it over with a tractor, and then post the destruction on youtube.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
A company in Minnesota rebuilds original 1961 to 1964 control valves (with cores ) through Advance Auto Parts. They may do 59 and 60.
The price on the cores is about $ 150 as I recall. The price of the rebuilt control valves is over $100 cheaper than new ones and they are guaranteed to not leak or not work via Advance Auto Parts.

I have 3 original rebuilt control valves on my 62's and 3-4 more on friends cars that I know about.
Paul

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Call Steve at authentic automotive with a list of what you have and see if he’d buy it or trade for rebuilt parts you need.

Bob, if you ever see any 6 cylinder power steering parts in your junk yard travels, grab it. All the brackets and bolts are worth grabbing for any 50’s or 60’s chevies.