61 biscayne build

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
years ago i started cutting one coil out of my front springs and backing up from the raw cut end about 3 inches and heating and flattening that end so it lays flat in the lower a-arm spring pocket. this usually produces close to a 4" drop (with W motors). The rear on my red car also has one coil removed, but i do run air shocks for when people ride in back seat, so around 2" drop with 40 lbs air in the shocks. Also rear tires are 235X70X15 ( 8"wide rims) and fronts are 205X65X15 (7" rims) ....Approx. 28" tall rear tires and about 1" shorter in front. Could have run larger back tires except am running 2&1/2" exhaust passed the rear tires.....so somewhat limiting on tire size.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
back to working on my biscayne and am ready to put the heads on my 380 in. motor, using 409 truck heads. i want to possibly use single shim head gaskets (8007SH) to boost my compression back up. Am using icon 10.5 to one pistons, but know i have lost some compression with truck heads ?? Anyway i am looking for a single head gasket (8007SH) if anyone has one, or open to other options...i have one of these, but need another. Thanks, Dean

Attachments

• 20181003_221732.jpg
    20181003_221732.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
sold it......then built a 409 (for the street) using my 427 crank out of my 348 now in my bubbletop. 409 crank back into my 348 for the biscayne.....that's why i'm looking for a steel shim headgasket. Hope you are doing well Dan

Last edited:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
sold it......then built a 409 (for the street) using my 427 crank out of my 348 now in my bubbletop. 409 crank back into my 348 for the biscayne.....that's why i'm looking for a steel shim headgasket. Hope you are doing well Dan
I have a 60 Bel-Air project coming up, wish I would have bought that engine,,, All is well hope the same with you.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
OK guys, hoping for a little more input on head to piston clearance, quench area etc. My 409 stroked 348 has pistons .012 down in the hole and hoping to use .022 steel shim head gaskets that will crush .002 for a grand total of .032 quench area. i am conflicted with reports of that will work, too that is not enough piston to head clearance. ( 5,000 to 5,500 rpm engine) i have been told i need .038-.040 clearance minimum, please help if you can. thanks

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
thx Don, but i may go to a thicker gasket just to be safe...Anyone using "Best" brand head gaskets and know if they have different thicknesses? I think Felpro's crush to .040 and that is to thick for me.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
About the only thing out there for these engines that will meet your needs Dean,is the .027 Cometic head gaskets.They're about 130.00 each,but can be reused.They can also make them for the smaller 348 bore which will help your compression.Those BEST gaskets run about .051 or more.