New Patent On The Bench

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Had one of the local shops drop off a 62 B/W T10 transmission to rebuild supposedly a numbers matching 62 SS 409 rag top.
The complaint was popping out of second and third gear.
Knocked it apart today and not supersized to find that it needs everything inside.
20181211_102133 (2).jpg
20181211_102212 (2).jpg
The list
twisted main shaft
Bad input
Bad third gear
Bad second gear
Both 1/2 3/4 hub and slider with dogs and springs
1/2 shift fork
Front bearing retainer
Chipped and worn cluster gear

Any of you guy have a reputable parts supplier you use?

Thanks James.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Thanks Scott. :good
At what point does one fix a early piece to have a chance of being destroyed just for fun when you least expect it.
The prices on the parts seem cheap to me, compared to what I remembered back in the days. :rub

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
After a long talk with the guy at D&L, I now know this is a one year only transmission.
Good news it can be fixed but will have to change the front yoke on the driveshaft and will have to modify a front bearing retainer from an early 3 speed.

Funny thing, the technician from the shop that sent this transmission to my shop is a ASE master technician. :scratch

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Looks like the same transmission I have with the small front bearing retainer. Is it a close ratio trans too? I picked up a front bearing retainer from Kajun John several years ago, that fits in a truck bellhousing with a large bearing retainer hole.

Clint

Well Known Member
Had one of the local shops drop off a 62 B/W T10 transmission to rebuild supposedly a numbers matching 62 SS 409 rag top.
The complaint was popping out of second and third gear.
Knocked it apart today and not supersized to find that it needs everything inside.
View attachment 66703
View attachment 66704
The list
twisted main shaft
Bad input
Bad third gear
Bad second gear
Both 1/2 3/4 hub and slider with dogs and springs
1/2 shift fork
Front bearing retainer
Chipped and worn cluster gear

Any of you guy have a reputable parts supplier you use?

Thanks James.
I have bought from Paul at 5speed.com. He is great with muncies don't know about. T10

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
I imagine Warner Gear turned out T-10's by the thousands in large batches, so the '62 and the '63 model years would have a ready stock on hand. Te Muncie came out for the '64-65 model years, about two years too late. The Ford application of the T-10 had an iron case, but a 2.70-something first gear. The hot set up then was to put the Ford gears in the aluminum Chevy trans, then use a clutch disc compatible with the Ford input, and fab up a pilot bushing that was Ford on the I.D, and Chevy on the O.D.