Mini Starter Alignment

Clanier

According to the info I have found, the SBC starter would interchange with the "W" engines. Since I happen to have a few lying around, I thought I would use one on my 409. Of course it doesn't line up with the two bolt holes on the block. I bolted it up with one bolt to check the engagement with the flywheel. It seems to work fine.

Question: Have any of you re-drilled the starter mounting to fit the 409 engine?
Thanks

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Also make sure the Bendix drive engages in the ring gear correctly. I had to mill off .100 my torque master starter for correct fit.

tenxal

Well Known Member
Also make sure the Bendix drive engages in the ring gear correctly. I had to mill off .100 my torque master starter for correct fit.

Dave is giving good advice, here. I've redrilled for the extra bolt..no big deal. As to the drive engagement, manually engage the drive pinion....there should be around .035 between the bottom of the pinion tooth and ring gear 'valley' between the teeth on the flywheel/flexplate. Like Dave, I've had to take as much as .125 off the mounting block to correct this.

Last edited:

427John

Well Known Member
I am confused by this info,I was under the impression the staggered bolt pattern was for large flywheel and the inline pattern was for the small flywheel. So is this thread saying you have to use a modified inline bolt pattern small flywheel starter with a large flywheel on w motors and that you can't use a staggered bolt pattern large flywheel starter?

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I am using a staggered bolt mini starter from a 95 chevy pickup with my large flywheel. You have to get the correct length bolts when using a mini starter. The original starter that came with the car in 64 used all 3 mounting bolts similar to the linked photo below.
3 bolt starter

tenxal

Well Known Member
I am confused by this info,I was under the impression the staggered bolt pattern was for large flywheel and the inline pattern was for the small flywheel. So is this thread saying you have to use a modified inline bolt pattern small flywheel starter with a large flywheel on w motors and that you can't use a staggered bolt pattern large flywheel starter?

Many small starters are available with multi pattern in-line bolt holes (for 153 and 168 flywheels). There are also small starters for the staggered bolt holes if your block doesn't have the inner mounting hole.

Hope this helps.

427John

Well Known Member
Many small starters are available with multi pattern in-line bolt holes (for 153 and 168 flywheels). There are also small starters for the staggered bolt holes if your block doesn't have the inner mounting hole.

Hope this helps.
So as far as OEM starters are concerned the staggered bolt pattern is the 1 to use with the large flywheel?

neilswheels

Well Known Member
so, dumb ass question, how do you 'manualy' engage the starter to check clearance?
Dave is giving good advice, here. I've redrilled for the extra bolt..no big deal. As to the drive engagement, manually engage the drive pinion....there should be around .035 between the bottom of the pinion tooth and ring gear 'valley' between the teeth on the flywheel/flexplate. Like Dave, I've had to take as much as .125 off the mounting block to correct this.

After a lot of research, I got an inline mini strater for a 168. bolted up fine, thought I was out of the woods with that, but maybe not..

heddrik

Well Known Member
That's not dumb, you just don't know. I think just anchor the starter securely so the gear can be accessed and put 12 volts DC to it. Am I right? Please correct me if I'm wrong somebody.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
That's not dumb, you just don't know. I think just anchor the starter securely so the gear can be accessed and put 12 volts DC to it. Am I right? Please correct me if I'm wrong somebody.

That's how I did it.

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Thanks guys, but, wouldnt powering up the starter make it want to turn the engine over, so how would you measure the gap between the pinion tooth and ring gear with the engine turning over, or is that not what happens? I thought maybe you somehow lever the starter pinion out and hold it there to measure the gap? ..and, what do you measure the gap with , wont a regular 'feeler gauge' be too wide?

Attachments

• feeler.jpg
    feeler.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
With an original starter, you would remove the solenoid and pivot the lever to engage the drive gear in the flywheel. Then you use gauge pins to check the engagement depth. With a mini starter, it may be more difficult to remove the solenoid. You may be able to disconnect the heavy power feed wire connecting the solenoid to the starter motor then apply 12 volts to the s terminal of the solenoid just to engage the drive gear in the flywheel to check the engagement.

tenxal

Well Known Member
Just manually move the drive gear into the flywheel ring gear teeth. You might need a flat bladed screw driver. Like so.......

EfIm3Oel.jpg

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Problem comes up trying to measure the gap when you have a scatter shield. Can't get in there.

Some guys:dunnohave been known to cut a hole in the bottom of the scattershield for access. But that being said, mine may have been off the engine when measuring.