Scammers

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. In my quest to find a nicely done '57 Pontiac, I ran into another scammer. This car is dirt cheap and very nice for the money. That's the first clue. Then it's being sold by a recent window who lost her husband not too long ago. Sympathy. She is supposedly selling her house in an affluent area of MA and moving to WV. Not meaning to offend anyone, but seriously, who does that?? I sent a list of questions and my response was that her deceased husband would have been able to answer these questions, but she can't. Asked exactly where this car was located for an inspection, but haven't received an answer in 3 days. No surprises there. This guy is a true scammer. My question is, should I continue to challenge him?? I'd like to send him a message that if I knew where he lived, I'd burn his house down with him in it. Wouldn't bother me a bit. Be doing society a favor. I don't want to escalate things, but I'm so very tired of these scammers. A-holes. Always trying to steal from good, honest people. These f---s sicken me terribly, Carmine.

Cayneman

Well Known Member
Carmine, just saw a 57 Pontiac 2 door hardtop for 16K on American Hot Rodders buy/sell/trade site.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Tell us the information and we can flood him with questions!!!!!
Seems like the question Phil, that pushes him over the edge, never hearing from them again, is when I ask where the physical location of the car is?? I advise them that either myself or a professional appraiser/inspector will inspect the car. Also at that time, make available a clear/clean registration to this vehicle to also be examined. That's the end of any conversation. I normally will send a bunch of questions and request, which is apparently a waste of my time. In the future, I think I'll ask the cars location first and go from there. I just hate the idea of someone trying to cheat me. It really annoys me big time. My mother raised a fat kid, not a dumb one. No way I would fall for this. So, buyer beware. They are out there. They should really seek out and pick on the democraps. They like giving stuff away, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine, just saw a 57 Pontiac 2 door hardtop for 16K on American Hot Rodders buy/sell/trade site.
Thanks for that info. I just tried to get on that site, but it was through Facebook, which I don't subscribe to. Is there another way around that?? Many thanks, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine, tracked car down to Dream Works Restorations Jacksonville, NC. 910-545-4793.

Gary
Thanks Gary. I'll try and make contact with them. Is this the one you mentioned in another thread at Hot Rodders??

James, I'm a member of 5 other car forums, and what I do in one of their categories, is make mention of what I might be looking for. The guys are good and will respond with some links at times. The membership I feel is very trustworthy. Where I run into problems, actually both times the same thing, is while looking on the internet, I might come across a car that piques my interest. There is normally a way to contact the owner via email, which is what I do. Then the scam starts. Both occurrences listed a car that was much too cheap for what it appeared to be. That should have been the first and last clue. I should never have made those inquiries. It only leads to aggravation, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Your problem is looking at cars far away. If I can't drive to see it within a couple of hours I'm not interested.
I don't have much choice Mike. You live in sunny California. I live in the rust belt. I don't want a car originating from my area. I have to look either down south or out west, if I want to avoid dreaded rust. My '62 and '64 Impalas came from Alabama and Louisiana respectively. Slight amount of surface rust on the '64 frame which went away with a drill and wire wheel. Original fenders and body panels still intact. Original pans. Those cars made a believer out of me and where I should be looking. The distance doesn't bother me that much. I just need someone to be honest and not try and scam me. I will never buy another car without having me look at it personally or hire a professional appraiser/inspector. I rolled the dice once and came out fine. Not doing it again. My '71 GTO, I bought about 35 minutes from me. It began it's life in Atlanta, Georgia. Not sure how or when it made it's journey north to PA. This was a body off frame resto with documented pics. This car had some rust no doubt, but it was restored nicely. No regrets on this one, but I do want something from the south or west. So, I keep looking. Also want to mention, that about 30 years ago, I was in Phoenix, AZ, on business for 3 days. Alot of older cars out there still on the road. Many dents and bangs, but no rust. Nothing rusted through that I could see. Impressed me, Carmine.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Really cheap doesn't always indicate a scam. Years ago a friend of mine called on an ad selling a Porsche for $50. Turns out the husband left with the mistress and told the wife to sell everything and give him half. My buddy paid the $50 and drove it off.

Might have got a BJ to boot!