Moving Today

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Jeff

The next to last thing I wanted to do was leave my shop and house. Everything was in tip top shape. Could have stayed there until the end. But the LAST thing I wanted to do was go through another flood. The forecast is for 3 times the normal flooding for this spring and I believe them. The river hasn't dropped much all winter, never have I seen that. The ground is saturated and there's a buttload of snow up north. We're supposed to get an inch of rain tomorrow and temps in the 40's next week. Damn:doh

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jeff

The next to last thing I wanted to do was leave my shop and house. Everything was in tip top shape. Could have stayed there until the end. But the LAST thing I wanted to do was go through another flood. The forecast is for 3 times the normal flooding for this spring and I believe them. The river hasn't dropped much all winter, never have I seen that. The ground is saturated and there's a buttload of snow up north. We're supposed to get an inch of rain tomorrow and temps in the 40's next week. Damn:doh

That truly sucks, spend years putting together a place and then have to give it up because of Mother Nature. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Will the flooding issue hurt selling your former house and garage?!!!!

Flood insurance wasn't available when the 08 flood hit, but it is now. The flood issue is on the disclosure form. I wouldn't sell it anyhow without letting the buyer know. Mary also talked about losing money on it. I've got paperwork from the DNR granting permission to put in a dike as my ace in the hole. Probably will lose money but what the hell, we'll be gone. A setup like mine a mile from town on a county blacktop will help. They are in short supply. And very pricey. We looked for 6 months before deciding to build.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Me being born an Army brat, all I remember was moving. The house I live in is the only house I have ever bought and have no intention of moving.
As the crow flies, I'm not that far from the Missouri river but, I live on Mt Pleasant. :cloud

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
My first house was in a flood plain, and we did have federal insurance at the time. Never flooded totally but that creek in the back yard sure went up fast and once we did have some water enter the crawl space. Thirty-four years ago I moved up the hill about 2 blocks away. Now all my water runs to that old spot :).

Then again, I did build the manshed in a spot that once was a cattle watering pond... I filled that in with a couple hundred truck loads of clay :).

TomK