Widow selling 1963 409 motor with 4 spd

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
20190420_102012.jpg20190420_102415.jpg20190420_095530.jpg20190420_094359.jpg

Came across this motor for sale and went to go look at it. Its all there minus the correct carbs. (has 2 that come with it) I ran the numbers and used my scope to look inside of the cylinders. Everything looks good (no major damage that I could find). What is this worth? I was thinking around $10k but maybe I'm high, she knows what she has and certainly isn't going to give it away. How much should she be asking? Has factory distributor in it too. I don't really need it myself with all of the other stuff I already have. Anyone looking to put a date code correct 409 and 4spd in their 1963 chevy?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Engine and transmission both in unknown condition. Assume they'll need to be rebuilt. The bellhousing isn't correct for '63, which means the 4-speed may not be as well. $10k is probably too much without further inspection and verification.
My focus was not the trans. I wondered about the bell housing after because I figured out later I have an identical one setting on the shelf in my shop and it came out of a small block car I have.

tenxal

Well Known Member
Honestly, you're looking at 3K...maybe 4K tops. If that's in the price range and this is a real deal, please contact me. I'm just a few hours from there and would be interested.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The small block Bh would not fit a 168 tooth 409 flywheel, I wonder if the transmission matches the 409?
She doesn't live far so I'll be running back over and looking at additional items. Any other things I should look at while I'm there? I did put my scope down in the oil pan and it was clean with oil. I really want to flip the motor and get the oil pan off but not sure if that will happen.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What it’s worth and what it sells for are 2 different things? I’d say a good chance it sells for $6,000 plus as a package.
If she would take anything close to $4k I would be showing you pictures of my new motor. Keeping in mind that no one here would sell their parts to build the same set up for $4k. If you would then please PM me so I can come get your motor like this one.