Widow selling 1963 409 motor with 4 spd

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Easy to overpay when buying something that the condition is unknown. Cracked block and or cracked heads and now your screwed. Think before you buy.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!! Plus the fact that you're going to spend another 10k for a proper rebuild if all the "cores' are rebuildable.These kinds of prices are the result of pure greed.Greed sucks!The only way that this engine would approach these figures is if THE car,with infoulable documentation was available for purchase at the same time.Anything else is a "clone" or worse yet,a scam.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Easy to overpay when buying somthing that the condition is unknown. Cracked block and or cracked heads and now your screwed. Think before you buy.
I always prefer to buy motors that are pulled apart unless the motor is in the car and we are driving it around. I will guess they will set on the motor for awhile longer and let the dust gather a little more on it. She is in no hurry to get rid of it and I agree with taking her time because its a desirable piece.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sounds to me she has been looking on EBay to see what some of these characters are asking for their motors NOT WHAT THEY SELLING FOR THOUGH! but she does have some good parts though such as manifolds,air cleaner and if trans does not have any broken parts as around here you can't find a Muncie for under 800$ anymore but doubt anyone would pay 10k I hope

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sounds to me she has been looking on EBay to see what some of these characters are asking for their motors NOT WHAT THEY SELLING FOR THOUGH! but she does have some good parts though such as manifolds,air cleaner and if trans does not have any broken parts as around here you can't find a Muncie for under 800$ anymore but doubt anyone would pay 10k I hope
Agreed, there are a bunch of people that ask for the moon on ebay/craigslist. I've never dealt with a 4spd so I am clueless as to their worth. Not sure about the aircleaner and its ability to be repaired. As the photos show, it has a couple extra holes that someone has put in the base near the carb openings. Not sure what that was for. I has some pitting from rust too so not sure if it would be worth having it refurbished.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Easy to overpay when buying somthing that the condition is unknown. Cracked block and or cracked heads and now your screwed. Think before you buy.

Exactly. That’s one thing about these W engines that drives me crazy. They always fall into the weirdest hands, and its always a long block that’s been sitting for decades, God knows where or why, and of course the seller doesn’t know s—t about it or it’s history, all they see is dollar signs.

I’d say 3-4 grand is a pretty close estimate to ACTUAL value.:good

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Exactly. That’s one thing about these W engines that drives me crazy. They always fall into the weirdest hands, and its always a long block that’s been sitting for decades, God knows where or why, and of course the seller doesn’t know s—t about it or it’s history, all they see is dollar signs.

I’d say 3-4 grand is a pretty close estimate to ACTUAL value.:good
I would pay 3-4 thousand for it and take my chances. Actually, I'd give 3 thousand and you can keep the tranny. I have 3 Muncie boxes already. I also see what they are listed for on ebay. Don't want to insult or offend anyone, but these people are what I call dreamers. I find this alot when looking at entire cars also. I don't know their asking thought process, how they arrived at that, what is it they think they have, but I do know I refuse to pay what I feel is an inflated price. Some are looking (dreaming) of enough money to buy a home on Sanibel Island in Florida. I wish them well, but I have no interest in contributing to their dream, Carmine.

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
He already died, shes left to try to cash it out now.
I know the story on this engine.
Someone else said "I'm going to restore it someday, and someday never comes", then they die and the kids scrap stuff because they don't want the hassle of advertising old junk.

I'm losing my Dad day by day to Alzheimer's. I know what is what out in the garage. My Mom and my brother don't. I know what goes to a Corvette, and what could have come on any station wagon. To them it's just junk and shit to clean out of the garage when he passes. They don't know if it's worth .50cents or $50.00 or 500 or 5000.

This happens a lot. Used to be some big Oldsmoblie drag racer over by Detroit that was well known in Olds circles. Guy hoarded parts and cars, wouldn't sell anything. Then he died. Family brought in a huge dumpster, and stuff got cashed in.
Happens.