'58 - 348 Tri Power

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Pretty sure my Canadian passenger 348 W came out of a Pontiac??? So "Turbo Thrust" - 250HP
I added the 3x2 therefore making it a "Super Turbo Thrust" or "Tri-Power" Pontiac Edition - 280 (well 275)...LOL :D:dunno
It was out of a Catalina if I'm not mistaking!!
Correct me if I'm wrong :)

'37-4D

Well Known Member
What was wrong with it?

Don,
So as it happens, when the linkage got stuck upon firing the motor that one time, the high revs bent pushrods, which were changed for free since they are the ones that had set up the linkage in the first place. Don't ask!!!!!!
That hurt the lifters. Hope this is all making sense to you guys, I'm regurgitating what I was told. So it had to go back again!!!
The clutch needs a little adjustment, and my steering was sketchy too, that was from my builder.
Basically the motor has to come out of the truck :irk:gaah
And since we are doing that, I'm changing the transmission. I was given a really nice one for free. The one I was sold, currently in the truck now grinds on 3rd, prob the synchro ring, so out she goes. I'll have that one rebuilt with the third transmission I have in parts (2 to make one good spare) for later should I need one lol, hoping never!!!
Out of all the used parts I bought, everything from this one guy failed me. Everything. I had words......led nowhere of course :grumble
The leaking was from the head gasket on passenger side that was cracked. So all labor warrantied for the exception of a few hundred bucks for an all new set of lifters and whatever is required.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pretty sure my Canadian passenger 348 W came out of a Pontiac??? So "Turbo Thrust" - 250HP
I added the 3x2 therefore making it a "Super Turbo Thrust" or "Tru-Power" Pontiac Edition - 280 (well 275)...LOL :D:dunno
It was out of a Catalina if I'm not mistaking!!
Correct me if I'm wrong :)
No 348’s in Catalinas, were the numbers still on the block in the area in front of passenger side head? And casting number and date?

'37-4D

Well Known Member
No 348’s in Catalinas, were the numbers still on the block in the area in front of passenger side head? And casting number and date?

Yes
Block is a '58 872 (plug cooling blocked)
Head is a 791
I'd love to know which car it originated from in Canada, as the head covers had the little lip for holding the wires.

fBhWRJe.jpg

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
For the most part the Canadian W covers were the same as the US but without the bow tie, so they were painted except for the chrome years, 63,64,65. Only in full size Pontiacs, Parisienne, Laurentian, and strato chief. Fairly rare but I see them pop up once in a while. I had a truck 348, it had no bowtie and likely came from a Chev truck, so maybe Canadian Chev cars and truck had no bowtie. I sold that motor in NZ with my 62 bubbletop.
IMG_0683.JPG

Last edited:

'37-4D

Well Known Member
For the most part the Canadian W covers were the same as the US but without the bow tie, so they were painted except for the chrome years, 63,64,65. Only in full size Pontiacs, Parisienne, Laurentian, and strato chief. Fairly rare but I see them pop up once in a while. I had a truck 348, it had no bowtie and likely came from a Chev truck, so maybe Canadian Chev cars and truck had no bowtie. I sold that motor in NZ with my 62 bubbletop.
View attachment 71565
Very cool, much appreciated!!
Now at least I know it could have come from one of these: Pontiacs, Parisienne, Laurentian, and strato chief :)

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Update:
New cam and lifters going in.
I can't afford roller!
All the labor covered by them.
We are also going to install a limiter as insurance and a rpm tach.
Growing pains lol

Last edited: