Sleeve 348 block

cruzin

Well Known Member
Hi

A guy called me and was thinking buying a 348 block from another guy.
The block was sleeved in one hole.
They have put the sleeve in just in the cylinder, not all the way up to the decksurface.
The engine has run some years after this.
What do you think? I would have the sleeve all the way up to the deck so the head secure it.
5F1446BF-6370-4F09-8256-C42F5B3E9E8E.jpeg

Last edited:

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think it goes all the way to the top on the "low" side?? If it's stepped or pinned, it should be fine IMO. But we have some experts here, so I'd like to here how they do it in a case like this.

cruzin

Well Known Member
Yea, the guy that has the block now dont know how the work is done.
Its probably okay for s stock engine but it needs a bore and the price is like a unsleeved one if he find it.

Thank for the input.

bjburnout: how was your block sleeved ?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I recall years back I had Tony Schaffer of Day Automotive sleeve a 409 truck block, so that would be a similar "eyebrow" situation as a 348 passenger block.

If I remember correctly he had the top of the sleeve at zero deck heighth, pinned at the bottom. I remember him saying something about "grinding out the eyebrow".

Didn't take a picture, so that's from memory...

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't see how the sleeve could be "retained" since the top of the sleeve does not go all the way to the top of the cylinder. Just my 2 cents.

Exactly, it has to go all the way to top plus have a step at bottom.

It's a measly 348, buy a different block

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well whomever did it,that motor lasted long enough to wear the bores enough to need a rebore,so it can't be all that bad.As to finding another block in Sweden,that could be a rather tall order.

Sure it did, and it may fail on the first mile after the new build. Again a better block is the safest thing to do.
As far as Sweden, I didn't know that but it still doesn't change my mind. The foreign buyers are here constantly. my Swedish brake customer is here every few months, he's leaving next week and comes back in a couple months so it's not like they have to search in country only.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
You guys think a stroked engine would be bad to have a sleeve? That's what I have and was looking to get done to my block.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
You guys think a stroked engine would be bad to have a sleeve? That's what I have and was looking to get done to my block.
As long as you have a shop that knows what they’re doing do it I know of two that were just done

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You will be fine if you take it to a good shop like BSL409 says. There are 4 sleeves in my 348/380 stroker with a 671 and I won’t give it a second thought because the shop that did it knows there stuff!

sycsteve

Well Known Member
You will be fine if you take it to a good shop like BSL409 says. There are 4 sleeves in my 348/380 stroker with a 671 and I won’t give it a second thought because the shop that did it knows there stuff!

I'm in northern Illinois and it seems like good honest machinist are hard to come by these days. None want to deal with this old junk either. It's not the norm easy 90 deg deck stuff either.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm in northern Illinois and it seems like good honest machinist are hard to come by these days. None want to deal with this old junk either. It's not the norm easy 90 deg deck stuff either.

Sure and those are the guys you definitely don't want touching your engine.