Slow build 1962

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well got it washed up tonight! The old man didn’t show up so no test drive yet but she looks decent again. The copilot had to ride with from the driveway to the garage. And yes the hood will eventually get painted when my buddy gets time but that’s not gonna stop me from enjoying it for now.View attachment 72538View attachment 72539View attachment 72540View attachment 72541
Such fun! My boy simply calls my car "race car". To him every car is a race car so he still has some learning to do. Looks amazing Nate. I wouldn't change the hood. I would tell people its because your motor is on fire! She is red hot!

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Dave I didn’t quite plan the stance to be like that but as dumb luck would have it that’s how it sits and I like it that way. Randy mine just calls it the white car. He would ask if we are fixing it so we can race now that it is fixed he asks if we are gonna race it.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks Dave I didn’t quite plan the stance to be like that but as dumb luck would have it that’s how it sits and I like it that way. Randy mine just calls it the white car. He would ask if we are fixing it so we can race now that it is fixed he asks if we are gonna race it.
Yah, I'm going to need more welding on my torque arm before my next race. I found a small stress crack on part of my previous weld up front.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Been down that road 50 years ago. It won't hold. Welded my 63 several times. Had to replace and reinforce. Need to add another arm.
I will be reinforcing the area that is coming loose but you probably missed I have a 6 foot long torque arm under the wagon. If that isn't considered another arm then nothing is. You can just barely see it in this photo. Works like magic, just need to get a better weld upfront on the 1/4 plate I added. :D20190714_152010.jpg

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I am going to hand this task off to a family friend of mine that is a master lifetime welder. We should always remember that you don't have to learn or do everything, you only have to know when to let the experts do what they do best. :good
That's what I always said on some thing's "I will let some one else who knows what the hell he is doing do it"......:D

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well I have about 120 miles on it now and getting about 8.7 mpg. Rpms at 60 are about 2800-2900 and about 2500 at 55. I’m thinking about going to a 28 or 29 inch tall tire to bring that down some. Everything seems to be good except 3rd gear is still not happy downshifting. Temp doesn’t get over 190 with a 160 degree thermostat and have 50psi oil pressure going down the road.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Did you do a tire size calculation? You may not drop rpms enough to make it worth the money. If you save $100 in gas a year then is it worth the $400 upfront for new tires? Plus you have a performance machine so stop looking at your gas gauge and push your foot to the floor.