Metal project: The Ultimate Welding Table

bobs409

Administrator
The ultimate welding table! (or at least my version) :D

Everyone on you tube calls their welding tables the "ultimate" so I'll follow the pack. lol

I've been working on this unit for a long while now. I've kept on adding things so it's been putting off the photo shoot but today is the day!

This welding table starts out with a 2' x 4' Certi-Flat top that I purchased. (beautiful piece too!) I made the main table base frame myself from 1-1/2" square tube. The bottom shelf has expanded metal. I opted for a table height of 40 inches. (everyone seems to have their own preference on that)

I added a pull out wing to the back of the table made of 2 inch angle which I drilled matching 16mm holes. This is useful to support longer projects and the ability to use the clamping fixtures.

I opted for pneumatic tires on mine because I do all my welding/cutting outside my garage so I don't damage my antique cars. With these, I can roll over just about anything. (wish I had that dedicated dream fab shop so I could do all my work indoors but I haven't won the lottery yet!)

The Evolution cold cut saw I recently purchased resides on the lower shelf and has left and right pull out extension wings to support long pieces of stock when needed. (future plans are to make a revolving base for the saw so you can turn it and use the wings while doing angle cuts)

I have (4) electrical outlets to run the chop saw and various hand tools. A cord wrap of some type to be added soon. I also have a plastic bin on bottom shelf for keeping various grinders and other tools nearby but out of the way.

I've also been very busy making different clamps and fixtures to go with my new table. Everything from Harbor Freight F style clamps that I modified down to stops and fixture nuts and magnetic aluminum riser blocks made on my lathe. I've also made some "tributes" of a few popular commercial angle squares and such.

This is one of those things that will never be completely "done" but I'm happy with it so far.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
How tight does the square tube fit and lock.
I found that if it had a sloppy fit, I could put the lock bolt in the corner of the square and it locks better.

bobs409

Administrator
Woohoo! :woohoo My table won "Tool of the week!" Getting a $25 dollar gift card from Amazon.

This is my 4th tool of the week award. I guess someone besides me likes my creations. :D
http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/ultimate-welding-table-74310#post139072

Congratulations bobs409 - your Welding Table is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Good job - it gets harder and harder to win this award with tool tables (we have over 100 welding tables alone indexed on this site), but this is a very well thought-out example.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Nice table, but the 69 chevelle, is also sweet. I had one for 25 years, 69 one owner 2dr Hrd Top, 300 Deluxe Coupe, 350, 2bl., had a few options that only 2000 owners opted for, headlight washer spray system, 2:56 rear end gears. Black interior with the white stripes, came with rubber floor covering, not carpets, automatic. Anyway, your table is
really great looking, and Im not a welder, but did buy a mig last year to learn. Thanks for showing us the coolest table. cashguzzler

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2