Oil pan

Oldog

My first BBC build is a 348 into a 1964 El Camnio ...I have a truck engine so oil pan will not work ..so my question is would a later BBC bolt up ?
Thanks
Dan

bobs409

Administrator
Is the capacity the same?Are the 348 and 409 truck pans the the same,are they 1 qt. higher capacity than the 348 car pan?

The extra quart I believe is in the taller oil filter. Truck pans should be the same, just drain plug in different location.

Oldog

Thank you ALL ! Great information and I will do some serious notching .. can I ask another question ? When i set the motor down it was apparent that the stock manifolds are not going to work .. what works . Do they make shorty headers like for a SBC ?

bobs409

Administrator
Thank you ALL ! Great information and I will do some serious notching .. can I ask another question ? When i set the motor down it was apparent that the stock manifolds are not going to work .. what works . Do they make shorty headers like for a SBC ?

That's the next big problem. Nothing works that I know of. I had custom headers built right on the car. A guy in my area was building them for race cars so I hired him. Cost me $550 back in '94.

427John

Well Known Member
If you can scare up a 396 you can pass it off as a prototype test mule for the upcoming Z-16.:D.I don't know where you are but here they're still pretty cheap if they're the impala or truck coded ones.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What about a 65 409 oil pan? Also there is a pair of short block hugger headers for a w motor that are a little banged up on eBay for buy it now for 99.00 but don't know the auction number.

chuckl

Well Known Member
What about a 65 409 oil pan? Also there is a pair of short block hugger headers for a w motor that are a little banged up on eBay for buy it now for 99.00 but don't know the auction number.
I worked through the same problem. I borrowed a 65 oil pan, which cleared my rack and pinion, and notched & rewelded my 348 pan to match the 65 409 pan. With a little folding practice with poster paper, the pan can be cut, folded (radiused) and welded without cutting the large notch, as shown above. All the original pan metal was used without adding/losing any sheet metal. Chuckl