cam button

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Which one with a solid roller? I see nylon, aluminium, and roller type. Also how have you reinforced the timing cover?

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Cam button for short duration use like drag racing I use the roller bearing, for street use I would probably use a nylon button. For timing cover support I like to use an epoxy putty ( A-B type for cylinder heads) mix up and form a ball or column placed on timing cover , then install water pump, it conforms to the perfect height when you tighten the pump down. Give it a day to cure before starting engine. Works for me.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
In my case the cam tries to come out the front of the block so hard it destroys the nylon and aluminum. The roller is the only thing that survives. You have to pack it with grease when installing as the roller can get damaged before oil gets to it.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
In my case the cam tries to come out the front of the block so hard it destroys the nylon and aluminum. The roller is the only thing that survives. You have to pack it with grease when installing as the roller can get damaged before oil gets to it.

Did you have to learn that trick....:doh..... or were you told that in advance....:brow

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
When the roller type comes apart, we found that the little roller is the perfect size to just go through the oil pump pickup screen. I have used both aluminum and nylon with no problems.
Good to know :good
Not so good:doh:thumbdown Why would this happen? Must be RPM? Different Distributor gear? I think I would be safe with the nylon or aluminum.
I also have a torington bearing behind my timing gear, is this going to be another issue for a roller?

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
The rollers do come in different thickness also.

Al lot of the thrust is from the cam gear. Flat tappets counter act that with their slight angle. Then soem motors like my Pontiacs and some newer Chevy motors have a bolt on thrust plate.

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
87 and later small blocks with the roller cams use thrust plates.The provisions are there for the plates in the 87 and later blocks,they just have to be drilled and tapped.