X frame

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
You're probably right. I know I had a hell of a time getting it out and putting the new one in. I put an extra plate on the new one. Thought I remembered rivets on the one I took out, but I wouldn't argue that one.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Couple different opinions I see. Maybe they are not year specific? Any frame down restoration pics of different years out there?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
You're probably right. I know I had a hell of a time getting it out and putting the new one in. I put an extra plate on the new one. Thought I remembered rivets on the one I took out, but I wouldn't argue that one.
I’ve been wrong before. It’s feasible that after setting pinion angle at the factory after 1960 they could have used rivets. I can’t think of any reason why one would have to change pinion angle after it had been set? I’ve been under enough 60’s that I can assure you the bracket is bolted. Can’t say for other years.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
My 63 was bolted . I remember loosening bolts and tapeing all shims togheter do as not to lose any to put back when reassembling so pinion angle would not be alteted.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
So, someone please tell me what idiot at GM, designed the "X" frame on '58-'64 cars. Not that it matters anymore, but what a terrible idea in my opinion. I was just out in the garage and tried to put my '62 on my 2 post lift. What a royal pain in the ass, this is. You have to be lined up perfectly for the lift arms to meet portions of the X frame. I never am. So, I have to jack it up and put skates under the wheels to position it properly. I have to do this almost every time. Even then, the arms barely reach the lifting points. This X frame nonsense must not have been too brilliant an idea. It only lasted 7 years thank God, Carmine.

See what you started. Ain't this the best place to hang out. Kinda like hanging out at the Bar. :cloud

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I ripped one off of frame in my 60 impala. Tore a giant piece of the crossmember out. A gent that I knew (Archie Reynolds’s ornamental iron) replaced the entire crossmember with heavy weight “stuff” car ran and rode like new!
What were the circumstances that led to the failure? Was this a drag strip car, high horse power, stick, auto? I have a vested interest.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 60 Impala I spoke about was actually my Fathers car, it ripped out back in about 1965. 348/slip and slide. That weak suck 348 couldn't even scratch the tires unless you did a neutral-drop in in gear start, ask me how I know. I wasn't driving it yet when this happened.