1954 Pickup Rebuild

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That brings back some memories for me James! I have done only a couple motors that you shim the bearings on and they were mostly tractors. In high school I did one car engine in a 53 Chevy and it had the dippers and troughs like 55brodie mentioned. It’s kinda fun explaining it to people my age being most of them haven’t ever heard of it and they think you are full of crap.

wristpin

Well Known Member
That brings back some memories for me James! I have done only a couple motors that you shim the bearings on and they were mostly tractors. In high school I did one car engine in a 53 Chevy and it had the dippers and troughs like 55brodie mentioned. It’s kinda fun explaining it to people my age being most of them haven’t ever heard of it and they think you are full of crap.
Generally you are Full of Crap :poke
but this time youre right lol. You'd be suprised how much industrial equipment still has oilers and flinger rings!

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have had many of these older engine, however I have never had to rebuild any of the engines. Without going too far into it, explain how you are shimming these mains for us less experienced fellows.

You adjust these by playing with shims under the main caps.
You can start with none at the rear main, then try and spin and more than likely it won't. So add shims at .002 at a time tell the crank rotates smooth, then just repeat on each main bearing. The shims for the front and rear main caps are different but the two center mains use the same shim.

Hope that helps. :)
You can see the shims in this picture.
20191202_091127.jpg

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
You adjust these by playing with shims under the main caps.
You can start with none at the rear main, then try and spin and more than likely it won't. So add shims at .002 at a time tell the crank rotates smooth, then just repeat on each main bearing. The shims for the front and rear main caps are different but the two center mains use the same shim.

Hope that helps. :)
You can see the shims in this picture.
View attachment 76723

No Plasti gauge any more?

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I guess you could use plastic gauge, but when the crank turns smooth you are set.
The factory manual doesn't give a bearing clearance spec, it just says " Selective Fit "