vintage Poncho aluminum heads

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
So this is when they started sticking SB's into Pontiacs, I saw the intake was listed as a SBC.

Mark

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No idea but those are SBC heads, you can tell just by looking at them. Don't know why he's referring to Pontiac but maybe like you said, chevy in a Pontiac

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Those were late 70 ' s - early 80's parts designed for NASCAR use.They even had the Pontiac logo cast into them.Harder to find,and even hotter were the ones that were of the Buick version.GM went with the corporate small blocks around 75.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
At that point in time,Pro Stock had gone back to the big block.There were big block Pontiac heads based on the Chevy until the Warren Johnson Olds Drace stuff started to show up however.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You should invest in a engine stand with 4 wheels.
I have 2 but they are both being used. To many coals in the engine rebuild fire. LOL! Besides I'll be zipping the bolts off this so no worries about being sturdy enough to pull the crank and pistons. Need to get this one pulled apart and off to the shop asap. I have a 1959 Triumph TR3 motor to rebuild this winter too. Wife deserves to have her baby on the road come spring due to all of my automotive/boat shenanigans.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Make sure you put that Triumph on a 4 wheeler. Always amazed me how heave those brit tractor engines are.
I pulled the last one (short block only) out with my own two hands. 1500 out of a 77' triumph. This one will be smaller than that so probably 140lbs. I'm to old for that now but I will admit that carrying a couple 30lbs kids everywhere has really made my arms stronger. These small 4 cylinders were designed with motorcycles and racing road coarse in mind. They are pretty light until you get into the 6 cylinders where they didn't seem to care about anything.