End of the Impala

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The last time I saw an actual new impala was 94-96. Couldn't get a BBC in them though so it was boarder line for me. When they showcased the NEW 2000 I laughed so hard and said "she is dead". There hasn't been a worthwhile impala since. The 96 with the bucket seats and floor shift is the only close one to a real muscle car and it still had 4 doors!

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
GM missed the boat when they failed to make a two door hardtop Impala. If they made a decent retro styled 2dht with bucket seats, 4/5 speed and an engine with some muscle - they’d sold a ton of them to the older age group who had that style of car when they were young. They did it somewhat with the Camaro. Problem with the Camaro is that it’s not built for people over 200 lbs. and over 6’2”.

Fuzz

MAGA

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
They built the Chevy SS from 2013-2017, but it was a 4 door. It ran well, 6.2, 6spd manual or an automatic, rear wheel drive. But it didn't sell well. A friend has one, runs high 13's at the strip.
2014 model year was the first but were handed out late 2013. There is a close group of SS guys here in the DSM area. Based on the Caprice police car chassis it was a dud from the get go but ultimately a newer version of the G8 Pontiac. I'll stay away from the late model stuff. Anyone can sign a loan, few people can build their ride like most of us can.

bobs409

Administrator
Beautiful!!!! Non SS with a 396 what a great car. 58-70 are all cool I love em. First car was a 65 Impala, would love to own another 65-66 someday. Favorite year has gotta be 63 tho, by a very narrow margin:good

Never liked the Sanford & Son era cars.

I'd take Freds truck! I like the old trucks of most any make, they were all nice looking back then. Never cared for the cars of similar years same as you.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I think ‘the’ truck is in a museum somewhere?? When asked about ‘71 and up Impala’s and 5 mph bumpers...
giphy.gif

hot_rod_hooligans

Well Known Member
2014 model year was the first but were handed out late 2013. There is a close group of SS guys here in the DSM area. Based on the Caprice police car chassis it was a dud from the get go but ultimately a newer version of the G8 Pontiac. I'll stay away from the late model stuff. Anyone can sign a loan, few people can build their ride like most of us can.

The Caprice PPV is a longer wheelbase than the SS/G8. Not sure I'd call it a "dud", it was being imported from Australia and Holdens days of producing cars was already numbered. Even if it did sell like hot cakes, GM didn't have a contingency plan in place to keep it coming. Sad that it could have been a great contender against the Charger if GM wanted it to be, instead they just kinda brought it here and let it die.

As for new cars, I swore years ago, any car I owned would either have a warranty, or I would be able to do everything on it myself(shy of some machine work), and I'm not entirely incapable of fixing a good portion of the mechanical on the new car.IMG_1157.JPG

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The Caprice PPV is a longer wheelbase than the SS/G8. Not sure I'd call it a "dud", it was being imported from Australia and Holdens days of producing cars was already numbered. Even if it did sell like hot cakes, GM didn't have a contingency plan in place to keep it coming. Sad that it could have been a great contender against the Charger if GM wanted it to be, instead they just kinda brought it here and let it die.

As for new cars, I swore years ago, any car I owned would either have a warranty, or I would be able to do everything on it myself(shy of some machine work), and I'm not entirely incapable of fixing a good portion of the mechanical on the new car.View attachment 77090
I was under the impression that the platform was the same but stretched. Maybe not. I will say those asian cars have come a long ways. Anyone here driven a Kia Stinger? AWD and 365hp on tap in a sporty sedan made by a company I would have never guessed could make such a machine. Buddy of mine has one and they are a very peppy sedan.

hot_rod_hooligans

Well Known Member
I was under the impression that the platform was the same but stretched. Maybe not. I will say those asian cars have come a long ways. Anyone here driven a Kia Stinger? AWD and 365hp on tap in a sporty sedan made by a company I would have never guessed could make such a machine. Buddy of mine has one and they are a very peppy sedan.

I believe they share a platform but the Caprice has about a 5” longer wheelbase, and is 10” longer overall. I don’t know how much of the mechanicals are shared. Holden had several performance trims of them over there. I believe the Caprice had more in common with the G8 than the SS though, I believe the SS is a newer generation.

I’m very impressed with what Kia has been able to do, I still remember a dealership in Virginia Beach doing a buy one get one free Rio back in the early 2000s.

55Brodie

Well Known Member

As for new cars, I swore years ago, any car I owned would either have a warranty, or I would be able to do everything on it myself(shy of some machine work), and I'm not entirely incapable of fixing a good portion of the mechanical on the new car.View attachment 77090
Looks like a Toyota badge to me.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I believe they share a platform but the Caprice has about a 5” longer wheelbase, and is 10” longer overall. I don’t know how much of the mechanicals are shared. Holden had several performance trims of them over there. I believe the Caprice had more in common with the G8 than the SS though, I believe the SS is a newer generation.

I’m very impressed with what Kia has been able to do, I still remember a dealership in Virginia Beach doing a buy one get one free Rio back in the early 2000s.
I had to ride in one of those death traps with an extremely bad driver from Dallas to Austin back then and I saw my life flash before my eyes so many times I had it memorized by the time we arrived in Austin. Scary POS back then but they have been chipping away at it and there aren't many family sedans that can boast a 4.7sec 0-60 time. Can't remember a 4 dr chevy sedan that can pull that kind of time but maybe the SS which is said to be just under 5sec. unofficially.