Update on BA 409

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
There's a story to tell behind these replacement quarters, but I'm almost afraid to share it with everyone.

Paul Stensland knows these quarter panels, he got them and a bunch of other replica parts from C.A.R.s for me about three years ago...

What happened between then and now is a sad, sad story :(.

And I have pics to tell that story...

TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
The Big Extraction

Not a good week :(.

I recently took part in a rather hurried recovery of one of my projects in the making. After dozens of unanswered calls and messages I finally figured out what was going on and acted quickly to recover the car and most of the parts I left for completing the metal work on my 1962 Impala convertible that I had acquired a few years back. It needed the “full Monte” with rockers, quarters, trunk pan, floor pans and supports, etc. Paul Stensland was instrumental in connecting me with CARS, Inc. for most of the replacement metal, many thanks to him for that support :). I passed all that along to what I thought was a competent body man but I was far from correct in that judgement. I blame myself for not being more aggressive and monitoring progress better over the past year. I guess I could claim that I was too busy with other things and trusted someone to do the right thing, but that dodges the situation and my role in it. I should have known better…

When I first vetted this guy, he had a lot of the qualifications that one might see as positive. Vietnam veteran (Navy), late 60s, ran a body shop in New Jersey for 40 plus years, retired to raise horses with his wife (who was a Veterinarian) on a piece of ground in rural Missouri. Good references, mainly from boat owners who hired him to do fiberglass repairs, etc. Fooled me good :( :( :(.
I should mention that I always wanted a 1962 convertible, Dad had one back in the mid 60s when I was a teenager. Lots of fond memories of towing his lake boat with his convertible out to Edgewater and running about in Lake Erie (I grew up in the SW suburbs of Cleveland). So I wanted to capture a bit of that past and have one of my own in honor of Dad, who passed some 12 years ago. I was fortunate to have a candidate show up in my own backyard (well, 12 miles away to be exact) and snapped that up as my starter kit. I knew it needed a lot of metal work, but it was a start. Looking back, I should have purchased a more solid candidate, but those always seemed far away and out of reach price wise.

After purchasing the proper metal parts from CARS (again, special thanks to Paul Stensland) I sought out some competent metal bumpers to get the project rolling. I knew James could do most anything needed, butI knew he was into several other major projects and thought I’d go "outside" for some support while we worked on the drive train, etc. Well, James took care of that part but I screwed up in selecting a body man who had some good references. It all looked good at the outset, I saw several of his projects, including several Corvettes that were repaired and painted to a level that looked promising. He also did a lot of fiberglass work on boats, as he was near a large Lake of the Ozarks. Drunken boaters provided him with a lot of side jobs. One problem was he was 90 miles away. Second was over time he stopped answering my calls. I did make several treks out there, sometimes unannounced, to check on progress, which was slow to non existent…

More later once I regain the courage to share the details of my misfortune. I suspect you know where this is heading...

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Dont leave us hanging Tom !!!!:doh But it don' t sound good......

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
The parts Paul S. supplied me with included both full quarter skins, two half pans, all the proper braces for those pans, the angle iron rail specific to convertibles, the rear pans, and several sets of used quarters that had the inners attached to them ( I may have forgotten a few pieces). With the exception of the used parts, all the other components were new reproductions that were sealed with that protective gray/green covering.

Here's what they looked like when I retrieved them:

Crusty parts.jpg
Crusty parts2.jpg

Crusty parts3.jpg

Crusty parts4.jpg

Are you beginning to see the picture?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
So Tom were you able to pick up my used 62 Hardtop 1/4 panels that had factory wheel wells attached for you to use-because no one makes 62 wheel wells— (that you wanted to use) & I think I provided one used red 61 Impala rear 4 door 1/4 panel to use the wheel well( not sure on the 61 rear 1/4) .. it’s been a few years..
lots of rust on your new parts..not nice too you.....by that guy.....
Paul

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Paul:

Yes, those parts were supplied to this A$$hole, and guess what he did with them?

Threw them out :( :( :(.

His comment was "they were junk". I told him it was not his decision to make to discard these parts. He just scoffed at me. Then he commented that the new quarter skins from CARs were "junk" and the metal so thin it would only "oil can". That's when I began to suspect foul play. Let's just say we parted ways and I salvaged what I could. I owe you for those parts...

It gets worse...

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
BTW those full quarter skins James showed in the pics were part of the "package" Paul S. put together for me from CARS, Inc. They were delivered new to this A$$hole in boxes as shipped from CARS in Michigan and picked up by Paul on one of his treks to Michigan. We met half way between Iowa where Paul lives and my place in mid-MO to exchange them. Paul did me a solid, I think it cost me lunch at McDonald's and some gas monies :).

What the hell happened to them since I dropped them off to this butt head one can only tell. Clearly many of the parts were stored on dirt floors and that the quarters were flogged by who-knows-what :(.

Kudos to James (LA hotrods) for reclaiming them for the BA409 project :).

Who does this kind of sh$t???

Russ Campbell had one time offered to put me in touch with his main body guy, I should have listened to him at the time...

Right now I'm in "save the pieces" mode (lots of POR-15 painting going on in the Mancave) and now I have to save up for another round of properly vetted body work on the convert effort. My Dad is for sure turning in his grave :( :( :(.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Not a problem, just wondering how it went..I trust you ...
too bad the green drivers side 1/4 was fairly nice except a number pinholes in the wheel lip
pass side 1/4 was rough - both removed beyond the factory 1/4 locations by my body guy for me from a Nevada Hardtop - just thinking about them - on to doing your convert
we can work it out