Update on BA 409

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
As to the gas door opening, my blue 62 SS 409 Hardtop has the same Cars Inc full 1/4 - my good body made them Show quality. But he said he cut around the gas door opening and lots of additional work to make the repro 1/4 work.
Here is the repro 1/4 on my 62 SS Hardtop. You cannot tell that the 1/4 was replaced -even fixed the wide well lip opening to match the original (I insisted that he do that. Also redrilled all trim holes to fit perfectly....
62 body work 001.jpg62 SS Blue -Body shop 019.jpg

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Some more on "the rest of the story" :

So about a month or so ago I noted I was not getting any responses to my phone messages. Called twice a day, leaving messages on his cell each time. Then I noted that his land line was disconnected. Began to have concerns, so I made plans to head that way for a surprise visit. I knew he had horses and outside dogs on his acreage, so if those weren't there I knew there'd be a problem. To my surprise the animals were there, but neither he nor the wife were present. Garage where my car was located was locked, I guess that was a good sign. I left a long note taped to his ront door....

After a few weeks and more unanswered calls I attempted to call some of the other guys who had given me "references" and they were unaware of anything, but hadn't been in touch with him or some time. I continued to have major concerns...

Out of happenstance I decided one day to look him up on Missouri's "CaseNet" and lo and behold, his name popped up with an impending court case scheduled for December 3rd. This was just after Thanksgiving, so I headed over there 90 miles away for another surprise visit. This time the front door was open so I knew he was home. The dogs were inside but barking and growling like mad. But no answer from the guy. Turns out he was in the back 40 hunting (deer season) and after half an hour of me snooping around he appeared in hunter's guise. Asked me what I wanted, as if he didn't even know me. When I reintroduced myself (awkward situation) and asked why he hadn't answered my calls or responded to my note I found out he had been visited by the Highway Patrol, handcuffed and taken to jail where he stayed for a few weeks while raising bond (and getting a lawyer). He had just been released pending a second court date (December 3rd). Federal charges were filed for tampering with a VIN tag and he got locked up until he posted $10K bond and retained a lawyer. I asked to see my car, saying I was coming back to pick it up. He said he couldn't even go near the garage, let alone open the doors, due to the court order. Sounded fishy to me, but I yielded. He said that he was being set up by a judge who was up for re-election, I could have cared less. Said he did not know who might have called him on the VIN tag... Figured they had to have good cause to cuff him up and lock him in jail, so I was more than worried about the status of my car...

I told him the day after his court date I was coming to pick up the vehicle, come hell or high water. He agreed. I noted that he got a continuance on December 3rd until January 2020 but that was enough for me to hire a flat bed and head out there to reclaim my stuff that I had not seen for many months. When I arrived the next day he was nowhere in sight and all my stuff was sitting out leaning against the barn next to my car, which he had wrapped in plastic (as if that mattered at the time...). The new parts were all covered in surface rust as if they were stored on a dirt floor. The doors had been removed and clearly were sitting on dirt. The convertible top was down and covered with leaves and twigs as if it had been sitting outside.

The "work" that he had done (trunk, floor pans, quarters, etc.) was butcher shop quality, he even cut out corners of the floor pans to be able to drop them in place. One side had some tack welds, the other just placed in position after some butchering of the corners :(. The Quarters were set in place over the existing originals as if he was going to fasten them over the old crusty ones :( :( :(.

I'll stop there because by now you get the picture and I'm getting perturbed...

Fast forward and now the corroded parts are in my mancave, the parts improperly installed are being removed, and I will be starting all over again.
Right now I am in "preservation mode" and will need some time to recover before I start back up again. And I'll need to save up some $$$ to have this vehicle returned to the condition it deserves...

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Did Paul ever mention who does his body work's on his car's. Maybe that might be a option . I only have to say is if you did not pay any money to that shister that would be a plus. Paul did mention in another post he has a friend with 409 red convertible for sale that Paul help restore. It's either throw a lot of money at your present convertible or buy one done ! I can understand your situation.

heddrik

Well Known Member
So sorry Tom. Jail seems too good for people like that. I like Russ's idea, fix what you can and good luck. Merry Christmas, next year HAS to be better.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I've already cleaned up most of the (formerly) new parts I got thru Paul and they now have a shiny coat of POR-15 on them.

It's "preservation time" whilst I gather up the resources to begin anew :).

Thanks for all the well wishes. James is right, at least I still have my health :). Now for a bit of drive and energy!

TomK

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Tom you may be finished up with cleaning those rusty parts but you can get a gallon of muriatic acid at Lowes or Home DePot for a few bucks, it works real good on taking the rust off and its super easy. Just make sure you wash them off good with clean water when done. Also be careful where you store that jug of acid as to make sure the cap is on good. I keep mine outside and not in my garage as the fumes will corrode stuff in your garage.

Last edited:

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Tom, I for one would like to say, that in all our years dealing with hot rods, cars, etc, the 1000's of guys I've met have been the kindest, friendliest and most helpful people in our hobby. For this "ONE" sad low life to enter your life was a shame. He will reap his, some day soon.
As many have said, if you can, enjoy Christmas, family, and the thoughts of your Dad & his 62. :xmas2

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The parts Paul S. supplied me with included both full quarter skins, two half pans, all the proper braces for those pans, the angle iron rail specific to convertibles, the rear pans, and several sets of used quarters that had the inners attached to them ( I may have forgotten a few pieces). With the exception of the used parts, all the other components were new reproductions that were sealed with that protective gray/green covering.

Here's what they looked like when I retrieved them:

View attachment 77210
View attachment 77211

View attachment 77212

View attachment 77213

Are you beginning to see the picture?
Looks like he was storing them in a pond for you Tom!
you are definitely a better man than me because I'm sure I would have taken him out to lunch in a dark alley! My treat!:brow

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I am thinking I needed a nice Christmas present to take the sting away from this recent episode.

Am sitting in 70 degree weather in Hot Springs Village, Arkansas contemplating my navel :).

The wife always wanted a lake front getaway, and what the heck:

Lake view1.jpg

Sits on about one acre at the end of a cul-de-sac with 554 feet of lake frontage. Just gotta figure out the financial aspects of it :) :) :).

Lake house1.jpg

Cheers! TomK