Went over to the dark side

Clint

Well Known Member
No new truck is worth anywhere near what they are getting today.... I paid $20k for a truck that was 4 years old...hurt like hell!!!! Still driving it 7 years later.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
To all the comments concerning the new trucks I & my son recently purchased. I wasn’t trying to brag, but other makes & models came up by other members on this post.
i did pay an outlandish amount for the truck, but being at the age of 75 and someone that has paid his dues and also. does like to drive instead of flying I believe I should or could drive in luxury if I care too. I’m a big man in size, so the GMC 1500 Sierra Denali fits My style & needs. As for me mentioning what my son just purchased, I did mention I believe his new F—d 150 Raptor was his HOT ROD. Also he has one son that plays travel hockey from North Carolina and his team has played game in Washington DC area, Pittsburgh to South Carolina on the coast. So his travel needs and likes are also met with his new truck. I also mentioned that his old truck engine blow & Ford would not meet his desires on how to fix his truck. He also has the monetary means for that kind of truck for his family Needs.
So please, I see no need for put down comment.
Everyone has their needs & likes.

Dave

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Be a cold day in hell that I would apologize for buying any car or truck.

10-4 on that. I made the money and I'll spend it however she sees fit. I ran FORD pickups at work for well over 20 rears for a reason....i couldn't afford to repair gm's. I've had more trouble and spent more money and had more problems on the 2016 gm I bought new than all the Ford's I drove at work over the years. Anyone recall all the trans problems gm had for several years before they finally did something to correct it? Guys with suburbans back then joked about loosing a tranny with less than 20k miles, and then a couple after that. The only reason I'm driving one now is the comfort and I don't give a big $hit what it costs. I can't take it with me, and if I could it would have to be in a fireproof box.

BTW, did you hear the story about the taxpayers bailing out FORD? Neither did I.

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I am a bit envious of you guys who have these nice new trucks. I guess I could get one, as I use a truck several times throughout the week to haul mulch, trash, materials, etc. for the rental properties. I'd beat that nice new truck up in less than a year.

My wife gets the newest vehicle, and while we had Volvo wagons and Dodge minivans during our "soccer period", the past ten years she's been selecting the Acura MDX platform. Every so often I have the privilege of buying her one of those, and I get her hand-me-down for my daily driver. I use that to haul tools and materials to and from home and the job sites :). But I often need a truck for the dirty stuff, so I keep one of those onsite.

Currently I have a 1992 Chevy Silverado PU that I got from a friend for $!500. Starts every time, runs good, doesn't cost much to maintain, but I wouldn't take it on a very long trek (maybe 250 miles round trip to KC or to StL). It does run down the road in a straight line. No radio, no air, just the basics. My previous PU was a 1970 Dodge "swept back" that James picked up for $50 (I called it "50 Buck Chuck"). Had that for about a decade then gave it to a young kid who needed it more than I did. I kinda liked that one, but it was mainly for local trips to the hardware store . I painted that one with a roller and some exterior paint :). I liked the way people would look at me when driving it ("that poor old man, it's so sad that's all he can afford...").

My wife says I should sell the Corvette or God forbid the Impala and get a new truck, but that's never gonna happen. I'd never trade something going up in value for something going down. I guess I'm a bit of a cheapskate :).

Cheers! TomK

Clint

Well Known Member
To all the comments concerning the new trucks I & my son recently purchased. I wasn’t trying to brag, but other makes & models came up by other members on this post.
i did pay an outlandish amount for the truck, but being at the age of 75 and someone that has paid his dues and also. does like to drive instead of flying I believe I should or could drive in luxury if I care too. I’m a big man in size, so the GMC 1500 Sierra Denali fits My style & needs. As for me mentioning what my son just purchased, I did mention I believe his new F—d 150 Raptor was his HOT ROD. Also he has one son that plays travel hockey from North Carolina and his team has played game in Washington DC area, Pittsburgh to South Carolina on the coast. So his travel needs and likes are also met with his new truck. I also mentioned that his old truck engine blow & Ford would not meet his desires on how to fix his truck. He also has the monetary means for that kind of truck for his family Needs.
So please, I see no need for put down comment.
Everyone has their needs & likes.
Dave
If you are referring to my comments. I was in no way trying to put you down.... I was only stating that I don't believe any new truck regardless of brand is worth what they are selling for these days.. once again congratulations on your new truck and I hope it serves you well.

wristpin

Well Known Member
I have a $400 2000 Dodge durango 4x4 and a $300 1983 GMC S15 i put a healthy 350ci and 400trans into. Ive had new vehicles and the payments make me crazy. Im a cheapskate. Besides its fun to kick the shit out of most vehicles with that crappy old GMC :driver
Vicki likes going to parts store for GMC parts so she can mess with The Boys at the counter :mock

Clint

Well Known Member
I have a $400 2000 Dodge durango 4x4 and a $300 1983 GMC S15 i put a healthy 350ci and 400trans into. Ive had new vehicles and the payments make me crazy. Im a cheapskate. Besides its fun to kick the shit out of most vehicles with that crappy old GMC :driver
Vicki likes going to parts store for GMC parts so she can mess with The Boys at the counter :mock
I feel exactly the same way

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
It's funny when I drive my 1990 Silverado (very slick low mileage quiet automatic) I feel like a old man. When I drive my 66 with a 350 stick shift dual turbo exhaust, I feel like a kid!!!!

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
When I worked the midnight shift as a mechanic for a major airline it was not uncommon for guys to hit the bars after work. To me it just seemed like the wrong time of day to start drinking. I was too tired went home and went to sleep.

Wow things sure haven't changed. In the early 70's it was the same deal at RDU and one of the guys became loadmaster.
Robert

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Picked up my new Ram 1500 Limited late this afternoon. Ivory white, 5.7 Hemi, 3:21 electronic locking diff., off road package, short box with multifunction tailgate, 33 gal. fuel tank and air suspension. Put 10 miles on it coming home. Steering is very responsive and really like the ride. I figure I’ll have half of what it has on it and how to use it in say 8-9 years. That 12” touchscreen is something else.

Question???? Warranty is for 5 years or 60,000 miles power train only. Is it worth $2,000 more to expand the warranty to 10 years or 70,000 miles that covers EVERYTHING - like power train and electronics? Doesn’t cover wear items like tires, wiper blades, filters and such. My old GMC pickup I bought new in 2005 and it has 86,000 miles, so will have this one until my eyelids close for good. The electronics alone to fix one time would probably cover extra cost. I’m leaning towards purchasing it. Opinions?

Fuzz

MAGA

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If it in fact covers electronics,oh hell yes. Modern vehicles have ton of those components and can both labor intenesive and the componants themselves pricey.

Last edited:

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I drive a 2005 F350 crew cab, 4x4, single rear wheel, power stroke diesel......When fuel went to $5 in 2007(?) I picked this up at a dealership with 70k miles on it for $18,000....book was $28,000 but nobody wanted it because of fuel cost....was the most i had ever spent and scared me to pay it.

Now it has 370,000 miles on it....I had motor rebuilt at 270,000 when a lifter came apart and trashed it....did the bullet-proof with head studs, emissions delete, and a small tuner.....cost $10k to rebuild but was cheaper than buying a new truck or buying a used one that someone else might not have taken care of.....when the engine ever gives up, I will rebuild again.....Refuse to pay $65k+ for a truck....prices are outrageous.

Since I have moved back to central Texas I have noticed quite a few new, single cab 3/4 and 1 ton pickups used by farmers/ranchers.....strange to see single cab new trucks....guess going back old school because prices too high.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'd do the warranty, the electronics could become an issue.

I am going to have to agree with you on the warranty. Not because the electronics are that complicated, more so the equipment to see what's going on is expensive or not available to lots of us.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If the extended warranty is from Chrysler, it is worth it. If it is an aftermarket warranty, just read the details on coverage, so you will know what is and what is not covered. Some aftermarket warranties have restrictions such as the type of part used for the repair- oem, aftermarket, used, etc..., also, some limit the hourly rate covered. If it is aftermarket, and you are ok with the terms and conditions, then it is worth buying.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
If the extended warranty is from Chrysler, it is worth it. If it is an aftermarket warranty, just read the details on coverage, so you will know what is and what is not covered. Some aftermarket warranties have restrictions such as the type of part used for the repair- oem, aftermarket, used, etc..., also, some limit the hourly rate covered. If it is aftermarket, and you are ok with the terms and conditions, then it is worth buying.
Jim a friend of mine owns a franchise dealership and your explanation sounds like it was written by him!
Robert