Aluminum rods.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
My dads neighbors cousins friend had an uncle that dated a girl whose step brother had a factory Corvette in 61 with a 409 in it. He told a story about racing a fairly quick 60 impala with a factory 409. He blew the doors off that impala and never even got into 5th gear! Wow, small world Dan. I thought the story was B.S., but it must be true.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
My friends Dad’s cousin had a neighbor that ordered a brand new 1960 409 Impala and it had aluminum rods. Even special ordered it with buckets and a counsel. The factory used corvette ones. He said it faster than any dragster at the time.
Ran 10's. That was my first car!
My dads neighbors cousins friend had an uncle that dated a girl whose step brother had a factory Corvette in 61 with a 409 in it. He told a story about racing a fairly quick 60 impala with a factory 409. He blew the doors off that impala and never even got into 5th gear! Wow, small world Dan. I thought the story was B.S., but it must be true.

"Back in the fall of '59 when I was a door gunner on a phantom jet..................

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ever hear Ishiftem tell stories a about how tough it was working in Chicago. He used to be tail gunner on a Sam Adams truck.
It was a Colt 45 truck!

Funny, I did actually had a guy tell me his mom bought a new 67 Impala with a Saginaw 4 speed. A counsel wasn’t available so the factory put one in out of a corvette. I’m sure really believed it.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
BMEs are some of the best! Know other guys that like GRPs.

Ran some BMEs in a Pontiac 455 mainly strip but some street. I always heard just let it warm up some before hammering on it. They actually came 0.010 shorter for the extra room for heat/rpm growth.

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
The rod journals are offset ground to small block ..... Most of the work on this engine was done years ago ...
when i got it the rough machine work was done [ about 20 yrs ago ] i finally got time to complete it !
I bought this package and it was all new .. I sent the rods to BME to have them ckd. ,can't remember the exact explanation but roughly it was
you won't make enough HP to hurt the rods :confused:confused

Waiting on the intake to be milled on the side for a trial fit .. Hope to have on the run stand soon !!

Attachments

• IMG-3931.jpg
    IMG-3931.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 34